This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What have I been up to for the last five years?!

Prayer Requests, Family Announcements, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, etc.
Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

What have I been up to for the last five years?!

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello to you all, I am just going to post a somewhat discombobulated account of some doings I have been in for the last several years up to last week. None of it fun, just pointing out that you have to hang in there and hopefully things will get better. Don't know many of you personally, just via the Cub Forum which is great, so if this bores any of you just delete it out of your way. Here goes:
Just a note to let you all know I am home and recovering from the most recent back fusion.
Seems to be going pretty well as I got out of the hospital the day following the surgery. I may have left too early, as I still have drainage making things a mess and the doctors fouled up on organizing my drugs for recovery. Took Linda a day to get something slightly more powerful to help lessen the main pain. They have to be careful with me at this point as I may get enough drugs into me that I could go to sleep and not wake up! Doctors have not got the medication right as pain has prevailed so far!

I was trying to attach a picture of all the stitching, but, it was not too clear so didn't send it. That is probably a good thing.

For reference, Five operations in less than Five years. Had two in two days in July '08. Any one of them has scared the pants off me. Don't try this at home!

The current incision (for reference) is about seven inches long. The one above it that I got in September of 2012 is about ten inches and finally the one at the top (Neck work x 2) is about ten or 12 inches. Almost forgot the carbon fiber strip in the neck frontal area of about 7 inches long x 1" wide.
Adding up the length of stitching, we get about 42 inches total (including the Neck being done two times at the top! We could also add in the incision for the first operation of the neck in front at 3 inches to come out with a total of 45 inches in length.
The number of titanium screws in all the tinker toy assemblies is about 44 and the carbon fiber washers (spacers for non existent discs) is about 12.
Two titanium rods at 10" long, each.
Many miscellaneous, odd metal surgery bits and pieces to hold some of this together.

Meanwhile between some of these surgeries, I have also had numerous other medical procedures to help get this over with. Including X-Ray guided shots, nerves burned out, plastic filler into vertebrae and much physical therapy.

Just some interesting facts for you all to ponder....remember, there is a lot of drugs in me doing the talking!

Being from Firebaugh, CA. and having graduated from Dos Palos high school is what obviously makes one tough enough to withstand these demands on the body! OR........" being from Firebaugh and",,,, is the CAUSE or it!

Remember as I do, there are always people out there worse off than ourselves. I pray that they all get the relief they seek, God Bless you, too.
Hope you all have a great day, mine will improve soon.

Steve K.

Thanks for letting me drone on, I am quite bored you know!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: What have I been up to for the last five years?!

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 am

God bless you steve. Get well.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 am

Steve,

I would say take things one day at a time, but I'm sure you're tired of hearing that. I hope the recovery kicks into high gear soon. On the lighter side, be careful going through the x-ray scanner at airport security, cause you're gonna set off the alarm.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 am

Life certainly does pose it's challenges and I really do understand the feelings you have on stress, recovery, pain etc... as well as the most important part:

Steve K. CALIF wrote:Remember as I do, there are always people out there worse off than ourselves. I pray that they all get the relief they seek, God Bless you, too.

That is a large part of the stamina that we can exhibit, understanding that the crosses we have to bear may be far less than the crosses others have to bear. A good sense of humour as well is critical. I am pretty sure that you have this in spades even if you are from LotusLand of the West :lol: (I lived in LA for 3 years in the late 70's)

Keep up your spirits, keep your faith in the Lord and He will continue to bless you all according to your need and His plan. Peace (+) to you and yours and you are in our prayers.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Steve you've sure been through a lot. Doesn't seem fair. Seems I can never figure this out. For many years of my life I've worked in the medical transportation field. Currently my patients are kids who need a ride to a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. But, whether they're kids or adults, I can never make sense of the tough luck some have, while others (like me) skate along without the health problems that others have. Of course, no one knows what's ahead for any of us. Thanks for sharing your story. We certainly hope things turn around for you, and the pain goes away ! Please continue to let us know how thing are going.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 pm

So now would not be a good time for rubber snakes. May you find peace in your days ahead.
Robert (yea I still got it) Miller

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Back is surely the toughest, everything else depends on it.

I recently read a book that really struck me that I don't know what a bad day is. 'Unbroken' http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/books ... .html?_r=0

Luckily the medical folks can preform near miracles these days, but recovery can take time. Best wishes on the recovery from the east edge of the earth!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Sharing with Friends and Family”