D-Day

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 am

Let us all remember the sacrifices made by our fellow Americans, both past and present, on the beaches and in the towns of Normandy 70 years ago today.

Re: D-Day

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:32 am

Agreed. We're free today because of those who sacrificed their lives.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am

My grandfather came ashore at Utah Beach on D+4 with the 9th HQ Artillery Battalion (9th Infantry Division). His division took part in 8 major campaigns (3 before Normandy) and spent 264 days in combat. They worked their way across France, through Belgium, eventually holding the line near Dessau, Germany for the last two weeks of the war in Europe. I wish I had learned more of his story before he died.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 am

God bless them. I know that I, for one, would not have had the intestinal fortitude that those brave men had to storm those beaches.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Prayers for those who both did and did not surviveā€¦..

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:40 pm

They were and are the greatest generation. Bless them all.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 pm

True Heroes, I am watching a program on the History channel now, absolutely incredible stories by the survivors.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:44 am

We get BBC TV in Ireland, and there has been great coverage of the D-Day landings every morning this last week. They have interviewed survivors of that terrible war, and their stories which are only being told now are amazing. I think the horrific things they experienced was the reason they were unable to talk abut or re-live the horror.
However the BBC never once mentioned the contribution the USA made to the success of the landings on the French coast. For any young person with no knowledge of the history of the D-Day landings one would think that they did it on their own. I thought it was a very one sided biased presentation of the facts.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:48 am

I have the deepest respect for those men and women of WW II, if not for their sacrifices it is very scary to think of how they world would be.

Berlin

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 am

God Bless them all.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 am

God bless them