Basil cell Carcinoma

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50 pm

I had some suspected Basil Cell Carcinoma removed from my right cheek the day before the Bash.A week later I got a call from the Doctors office that the Basil Cell had progressed to Squamous and margins on the biopsy were not clean. Today I went back in to have A second surgery to have the suspected area biopsied. After about an hour it was confirmed that the margins were clean. Good News I'm thankful we caught it early.

Now I have to be lot more careful while I out in the sun. I enjoy being outdoors so I will be using the sun Screen and wearing wide brim hats to prevent having to go through another surgery. The DR. also told me that Basil Cell is not necessarily caused be sun exposure it is also hereditary. My mother had some skin cancer removed 20yrs ago. I will listen to my wife next time she says "You better get that looked at it doesn't look good ". Steve

Re: Basil cell Carcinoma

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Glad everything came out okay!

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Steve,

Good news indeed!

Bill

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Great news, Steve.

We all need to make the effort to take care of ourselves better.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Steve,
You and I spent some time at the Bash discussing our common experiences on this subject. Not glad you had to have a second surgery, but glad they got it all the second time around. Was the second one Mohs surgery? My wife just had a melanoma on her ear successfully removed using that technique. We all need to be extra careful in the sun, regardless of whether we've had a cancer or not.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Good news, Steve. Agree on the hats. Those caps don't quite do enough. :lol:

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 am

Steve glad you are better. I have the same thing in November last year. Your right we need to listen better. Good Luck.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:42 am

Don McCombs wrote:Steve,
You and I spent some time at the Bash discussing our common experiences on this subject. Not glad you had to have a second surgery, but glad they got it all the second time around. Was the second one Mohs surgery? My wife just had a melanoma on her ear successfully removed using that technique. We all need to be extra careful in the sun, regardless of whether we've had a cancer or not.

Mohs wasn't an option for this surgery due to the 2 separate areas that were excised

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:13 am

Glad to hear things went well.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:35 am

Glad to here the good news.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:35 am

Glad to here things are OK!

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Happy to hear all is on the right track for you . We are looking forward to seeing you in Florida next year.. :D

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Glad things turned out okay!

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 am

We're glad the surgery went well, Steve! Can't wait to see the wide brimmed hat!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 am

I'm sure that you are relieved to hear the results of the surgery and the "clear margins" now. Having that hanging over your head has got to be difficult to handle. I bought a wide brimmed had last year from the Amish in northern PA and have been taking to wearing it out in the sun as well. I look a little goofy, but those guys sure knew what to do to keep the sun off of their face, ears and neck!

Mike