This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tool Questions...Impact Wrenches

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tool Questions...Impact Wrenches

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Just for my own edjumacation, what's the difference between the detent pin anvil and the hog ring anvil?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62903

Postby 49Cub2017 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I had the same question and I'm still not completely clear on this, but from what I've read the hog ring anvil is supposed to be quicker and a bit easier getting sockets on and off, and maybe holds them on more securely. And it's slightly more expensive than the detent pin. But, I'd like to know more about the hog ring version.

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup

Postby tomcat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Now y’all went and done it talking about those battery impacts. I am going to order one and my better half is going to cut my throat. She said I need to slow down a little bit spending money since I retired but what the heck, you just go around one time in life so l am going to make it a good trip. :tractor: :tractor:

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Hog ring style is mostly a friction fit. The detent pin when used with good impact sockets you generally have to use a punch or small screwdriver in the hole in the socket to release it.

It sounds like you mostly made up your mind what to buy, but as far as the air wrenches go a good one such as Chicago, Snap On and others should be adjustable in both directions. When I have a bolt that I don't want to break I turn them down so that it will barely turn and then slowly turn it up as it's hammering. I've taken out some pretty light bolts that way over the years, a lot of which I probably would have broken even using an open end wrench.

I forgot to add that there generally are 2 types of adjusters, air flow or trigger restriction.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm

You tube has several videos showing both and advantages and disadvantages of each. The detention pin is what I call the “normal” type where a spring loaded ball holds the socket on. It is easier to get on/off if you don’t line up the ball with the hole but very secure when you align them. The hog ring type is always secure but also can be difficult to remove the socket. It is similar to a c-clip that the socket fit over.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:07 pm

OK, I understand it now. My Dewalt electric plug-in has the detent pin. It is actually a little beefier than the spring loaded ball you find on ratchet handles. You definitely have to push the pin in to release the socket.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

The hog ring version is good. mine have the pins that lock the sockets on and unless you grind them down and reshape them some with a Dremel you need something on the order of a roofing nail to push in through the hole in the socket to release the sockets from the wrench.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 pm

49Cub2017 wrote:I took another look at the one on Amazon and I think it's new with a 3 year warranty...must have got that wrong the first time. And it has the Hog ring anvil, which is supposed to be a good thing. And it's slightly less than $210.00. I'll look around a bit more, but I have a feeling this might be the one.

The one I see on Amazon is refurbished.
1Capture.JPG
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 am

Don McCombs wrote:OK, I understand it now. My Dewalt electric plug-in has the detent pin. It is actually a little beefier than the spring loaded ball you find on ratchet handles. You definitely have to push the pin in to release the socket.

I have one of these and can’t stand having to push the pin in with a punch to get the socket off. I haven’t used it in at least 5 years. I have a Mac air wrench and it gets used regularly, it has the hog ring on it. When working on something and having to switch sockets often the Mac is a lot less frustrating.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 am

Reconditioned/refurbished means it was out of the box, returned or possibly something at the factory. I have bought several different DeWalt tools that were 'reconditioned'. The angle grinder with 2 batteries, charger and case was cheaper than 2 xrp batteries. They come with the full factory warranty. Never had a problem with one, box/packaging isn't as fancy as the 'new' tool.

I really like my 18V impact, surprising torque.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 am

I like the detent pin because it gives you a choice. Most of the time when I put a socket on I make sure that the pin is on one of the sides away from the hole in the socket. The the friction from the pressure of the spring loaded pin holds the socket on. When the bolt head has a lot of thick rust or is damaged the bolt will get stuck in the socket and the socket will be pulled off of the wrench. Only in these cases do I put the pin into the hole In the socket. As I have reached the “Golden years” and started losing strength and grip in my hands it is difficult to remove the socket from the hog ring but with the pin not in the matching hole in the socket it is very easy to remove a socket.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

The Dewalt shown above is very impressive and powerful. I have had this one: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF889B-L ... act+wrench for several years and at 400 lbs. torque I have been more than pleased. It came out before the DCF899B which has more power. There were more powerful ones then but very much more expensive. I already had an air wrench if I needed more power, but frankly I haven't used it since. The trigger is variable-speed.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/chica ... 36478.html ifty years ago, part of my apprentice schooling was repairing air tools. I hope this site helps, items 105 and 107 held the socket.
Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Just remember, the more powerful the wrench the easier it is to break a bolt, and the more care you have to use with it. Most of the head bolts in these older tractors are only 3/8, and are easy to break. I was helping a neighbor remove the head on his B414 IH (3/8 bolts), and as happens on most tractors 30+ years old we ended up breaking a couple head bolts. I had round the bolts off flush with the head and we were putting the head back on to use as a guide for centering the hole to drill them out. I was putting a few bolts in to snug up and Jeff was helping. I heard PRRRT and started to yell Jeff don't use the impact, but was too late. That head used 3 different length bolts all in holes that did not go all the way through and jeff had put a long bolt in a shallow hole and started to snug it down with my Earthquake gun. Then there were 3 bolts to drill out instead of 2. :x
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

49Cub2017
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62903

Postby 49Cub2017 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

John: You've brought up an excellent point and one that had just begun to occur to me as well...maybe the DCF889 is overkill. Those head bolts are actually referred to in the manual as screws! Well, they're large screws, but as bolts they are a bit on the small side, so maybe I should concentrate on getting a purpose bought solution to the immediate task at hand. If that's a smaller wrench...even a plug-in type, that's ok with me.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”