This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wireless tachometer

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Wireless tachometer

Postby Mht » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am

I’ve been busy lately getting all my chainsaws running properly. After some general cleaning, new plugs and a couple of carb kits I have my whole fleet of stihl saws running good. I have always adjusted carbs “by ear” but thought it might be worthwhile to have a tach to set the hi speed adjustment on them. Does anybody have any of the inexpensive tachs that i see for sale on line and do you like it and feel it works well for the speeds modern chainsaws turn. If so what brand/model do you have. Thanks for any input you can give me

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Re: Wireless tachometer

Postby MiCarl » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 am

I've got one similar to THIS ONE ON AMAZON. Mine looks identical but I don't think it has a replaceable battery.

I used it and it's predecessor (dead battery, not replaceable) a lot when I had my motorcycle/ATV repair business which were primarily CDI and electronic ignitions. It usually worked pretty well. For some reason it gives me fits on my Cub with a magneto (and maybe on my H which has battery ignition). It seems like it occasionally picks up noise from other plug wires and readings fluctuate wildly. The solution is to put it on the coil wire and do some math.

The ad says it works to 99,999 RPM which should be enough for most chainsaws. :D
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:14 am

A friend approached me, the other day, wanting me to get him tach / hour meters for his zero turn mowers. I found, pretty much, the same thing Carl shows. I don’t know of any specific good or bad brands but I guess I’ll order up a couple and see how they do. One mower is a Kohler, with mag. ignition, the other Onan with battery ign. The ones I see should work on either.

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:46 am

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured one is as good as the next with these cheap tachs. They are all probably made in the same factory in China and just put in different housings to suit whoever is buying and distributing them. As cheap as they are I’ll just get one and try it out

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mht » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 am

I received my timorn tach from Amazon yesterday. It appears to work just fine. I tested on an engine with a mechanical tach and accuracy is acceptable. It works just fine on my chainsaws even without wrapping the pick up wire around the spark plug wire

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”