This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chicago Electric 180 Amp Wire Welder

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Chicago Electric 180 Amp Wire Welder

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm

http://mkrd.info/reviews/harbor-freight ... eview.html

No I didn't buy it. Looking for unbiased reviews, opinions, observations on the welder.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Re: Chicago Electric 180 Amp Wire Welder

Postby Cecil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I had a Chicago Electric welder from Harbor Freight. The welder portion worked great. The problem was the feed rollers were either plastic or rubber I can't remember. They did not feed the wire very well. I gave it away and bought a Lincoln. Cost a little more but it had steel feed wheels that work great. Open it and check the feed rollers.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't know anything about HF welders. I have a Hobart 140 it works great. It all depends on what thickness of metal you are going to weld.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm always skeptical of buying something that is named after an American city, unless it's an old proven name like "Milwaukee" or "Dayton", etc.

In my opinion some Marketing Consultant thinks that you can take the lowest quality junk and put it together 10-12,000 miles away, ship it to the U.S., and the American consumer assumes that because there's an American city in the name, it must be quality.

I have a list of items I commonly pick up at HF, but I would not buy a welder or a power tool from them.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Lyle,

Don't have any experience with the Chicago, however, I've got a Lincoln and am very pleased with it.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 pm

First let me say, I don't have experience with the Chicago Electric MIG welder. I do have some experience however with some other Chicago Electric power tools mainly a 4" angle grinder and 1/2 drive electric impact wrench. Although they function, they are very cheaply made. The grinder was so gutless that I had to replace it with a much better Craftsman unit that I bought on sale. I still use the CE grinder but only with a thin cut-off wheel for cutting bolts, etc. while real grinding duties go to the Craftsman. The impact wrench seems to work okay but the electric cord is only about the size of a pencil, not nearly as heavy as you'd expect.

I have a Lincoln MIG welder that I purchased new probably 15 years ago. It's a 220 volt unit and handles .025"-.035" solid wire easily and should handle .035"-.045" cored wire however, I've never used cored wire. My welder came with gas regulator and gauges and I use a Argon/CO2 mix in my tank. The welder works great and should I have a problem with it service is available. It also uses Tweeco gun so consumables are available everywhere. I don't know what service you'd get for the CE unit and don't know where you'd buy consumables except for HF. You might find a good quality used unit, Lincoln, Miller or Hobart on Craigslist for a good price and it may be set up for shielding gas.

Anyway, what ever you buy I suggest buying copper clad weld wire. Weld wire left in a shop (unless it's heated all the time) tends to rust a bit and trust me, even slight surface rust on wire will keep it from feeding.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”