This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gear/Pulley Pullers - NEED ADVICE ON A GOOD ONE

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Gear/Pulley Pullers - NEED ADVICE ON A GOOD ONE

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Just broke the newly purchased Harbor Freight 2-jaw puller trying to remove the crank pulley on a Super A engine. The peice of China junk flew apart into a million pieces. I know it is our fault for even buying it, but they had the bearing separator and all of the different styles of pullers and the place is local and it is so easy to go in there and pick out what you need and get it that day. We know it is junk because we have stripped the threads on another puller we bought a few years back. It's just hard not to try it when the price is affordable, it's convenient, and there simply isn't another "store" that sells specialty tools like that.

We want to buy a GOOD, quality USA made jaw puller (or puller set) that will hold up and last. At this point not worried about the price ......or at least until I start pricing them. Do any of you have any good recommendations?? This puller will be used on steering wheels, engine components, etc. (all on Farmall tractors and Cub Cadets mostly).
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Gear/Pulley Pullers - NEED ADVICE ON A GOOD ONE

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:55 pm

This is very similar to the set I purchased in the late 70s or early 80s. http://store.snapon.com/Gear-Puller-Set-Puller-Set-Gear-P630695.aspx
The set was a lot cheaper then. :) :) It was still expensive at the time but I haven't busted, bent, of buggered up a thing. I don't regret spending the dough then and I'm glad I did.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I've been recommended to go with OTC brand? Anyone have expierence with those? The price seems "cheap" compared to the other brands, but IDK.....
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Surely you have a NAPA somewhat close. Good place to start.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Wasn't Harbor Freight but another discount store, bearing separator set - - broke on first attempt to remove a pulley.

Since you need the pullers - today. Local auto parts stores. Some auto parts store have loaner tools.

Sets of pulley pullers and bearing separators frequently come up at farm or machine shop auctions. Auctions are frequently a good place to purchase used, quality, name brand tools at a discount.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am

We don't need it "today" as the only ones available without ordering seem to be the Harbor Freight ones (junk). We are gonna shop around to find the best ones becuase dealing with junk isn't worth it. We knew better, but it is just easy when you can go to a store and pick out what you need then. The local Auto Parts stores......we tried that first, went to the one near us (Advance that never has anything). All they had to rent was a puller set that wouldn't come close to grabbing the pulley. I asked for a bearing seperator set and he gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look.

I'm shopping around now for the puller sets so maybe I can find a good one for less than $200.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Around here we can go to an "Advance Auto" or "Auto Zone" and rent tools dirt cheap. Have to put a hefty deposit but you get that back.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Just an FYI.....got this set on eBay (seller said it was a New, Unused Set) for $86.00. Excited to get it in the mail and put it to work. American Made and have heard good reviews about them.

Matco OTC 4579 9-Way Puller Set with Slide Hammer Attachment & Storage Case
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

JRICK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29325
Skype Name: JRICK
Tractors Owned: 1940 Allis Chalmers WC
1949 Farmall Cub "Haydee Bug"
1960 Massey Ferguson Diesel Deluxe
1950 Allis Chalmers "B"
1980 Power King Model 1616
1991 400A Belarus
1952 Massey Harris Pony

Postby JRICK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Gear pullers,taps,etc. I've had good luck on ebay buying american made good quality products.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”