This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NorthStar Portable Generator

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NorthStar Portable Generator

Postby Urbish » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Too all who were concerned: I have installed a Reliance transfer switch in accordance with local codes. Instead of spending $150 on a wheel kit, I bought a Chinese garden wagon for $75 and mounted the generator to it. All seems to work good!

I'm very happy with this generator so far. It starts on the first pull every time and runs solidly.
Jim

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NorthStar Portable Generator

Postby MiCarl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm

I've got a 5K Generac that's about 15 years old. I plug it into a 30A receptacle in the garage. It will run the furnaces (we have 3), 2 refrigerators and a chest freezer plus the lights and TV just fine. The only time it sounds like it's got a load on it is if one of us uses the microwave.

Never tried the AC, my guess is it won't cut it.

Fortunately the hot water and range are gas.

I've got a turn on sequence for the breakers after I hook it up - Starting load stuff like the furnaces, refrigerators and freezer one at a time. The rest after. Avoids a big load from everything starting at once when the power has been out. I've got the sequence posted next to the breaker box in the garage, hard to remember that stuff at 3 in the morning with the power out.

Only complaint is the Tecumseh powerplant is very noisy. I believe Honda's are much quieter.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”