This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spell Check

How do I.... ?
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Jeff:

I may have missed it but is there a spell check on the form somewhere. I know i'm not the best speller. An some times we all hit the wrong keys.

Sorry, I guess we all got sort of carried away on our own versions of spell check. The answer to your question is essentially no. And I don't think you will see a spell checker function on the forums either. It is kinda pricey.... and one that really isn't all that useful. For a number of reasons, some of which is regionality...

I hope that helped a bit.. and again I apologize for not answering your question, but ramblin off on me own little tangent... :wink: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:29 pm

The vast majority of the posts on this board are pretty good. The few typographical, spelling or grammar mistakes don't make them difficult to read. The English language is complicated enough that it is hard to know all the rules and always apply them correctly. People make careers of studying the language.

The homonym is a good example of the complexity. Spelling is in part inherited from multiple languages. Thus, even something as seemingly simple as changing a noun from singular to plural often depends on the origin of the word.

Another area people seem to have a lot of trouble with is the difference between a comparative and a superlative. How often do you hear "most unique"? Something is either unique or it isn't. Whoever writes the copy for most of the TV news doesn't seem to know this. It is like saying "most best" or "extremely essential".

The catch with spelling and grammar checkers is that they have the same problem a human reader has with poorly written text. They can't guess what the author had in mind either. Even so, they can be helpful. I use them both on my Red Power stuff, but not on email and posts like this.

My bottom line is still the same though. If it is too much work to guess what a question is asking, I don't bother trying. I run into this problem with disturbing frequency over on YT.

Seems like a spell checker would kick out "Machiniest".

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Seems like a spell checker would kick out "Machiniest".

Yeah your correct, just like it should have kicked out "grammer" too. Until this topic I rarely use spell check. Looks like I will have to start for all you grammar/spelling cops. MAN, I really HATE grammar. Ain't no good at it, this forum ain't going to be as much fun now :cry: .

THERE, IT'S FIXED NOW :!:
Last edited by John Niekamp on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:52 pm

Can we put this to sleep now?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:10 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Can we put this to sleep now?

YES EJP.......as far as I am concerned

Good night SPELL CHECK
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:25 am

SORRY I opened a can of worms. Lets let it rest.
Still a GREAT Web site & friends.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:15 am

I will go against my own request and add one more statement to this. If I remeber correctly when Dennis first set up the forum he stated that he considered adding a spell check, however it is not an add on program, but a link to another site that he had to pay for acces to on a monthly basis and due to this being a free website he opted not to go for the extra expense.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”