This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Message Board Change

How do I.... ?
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Message Board Change

Postby Dennis » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:49 pm

Dear Fellow Cubaholics:

It is not without some reservations that I have decided (with everyone's input, thanks!), to move the Farmall Cub website to this new format for the message board.

I realize that it is a somewhat radical change from what you have become accustomed.

There were multiple reasons for this format change:

1. Bandwidth: The new format is more bandwidth efficient (very important now days with expensive web hosting.)

2. Support: The old BBS format provided me with limited support options when it broke recently. (It was still broken while you were still using a crippled system. Archives where lost and the administrative scripting failed to work. I had no way to moderate the old BBS. This was a BIG problem!)

3. My time: This is important to me and only me. The old system required constant nursing. I enjoy the website and everyone on it very much, however, if I am spending an inordinate amount of time on the message board, I cannot develop other features for the site.

4. You & Cub's: Everything I do on or with this site is dedicated to the preservation, restoration and utilization of this GREAT line of tractors. I feel both deserve the best website possible. This board is feature rich and has a team of dedicated developers. It will only get better!

I realize that some of you are not happy with this change. As was pointed out in another message on this site, there is another excellent Cub forum that uses the original format. Even if you like this one, I still encourage you to visit it at: http://www.atis.net You will not find a finer group of people (other than here :D ) on the Internet!

I hope those of you that do not care for this change, will give it a little while longer to grow on you. If it does not, I still thank you for the time you spent here and the wonderful people that you have helped.

Sincerely,
Dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:19 pm

Each has it's advantages, but I really like how much easier this one is to see the new messages without scrolling down several screens, and that I can see several replies without having to open each one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:35 pm

Dennis
As you said if you have to constantly work on the old one to keep it going :( something had to be done :wink: and I for one am glad you set up this one to keep us togather :) i am having a few problems with knowing which messages are new amd which are old but i will deal with it :?
Thank you sir
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:55 pm

Ralph, just to the left of the date at the top of the message body is a tiny sheet of paper. If it's yellow it is an unread message, white means you have read it. Each thread has a similiar marker that indicates it contains messages you haven't read. They are easier to see if you use a color scheme other than the yellow background. There is also a "mark all messages read" at the top right of the threads. If you click on it when you finish, the next time you log in you will see the threads you haven't read at the top of the list with the little yellow pages showing, and the ones that don't contain unread messages further down the page with white pages showing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:02 pm

Dennis I struggled for a while with the new board but since I have got use too it I really like it better than the old one. And a big big Thank You for your efforts :D
Jim Turner

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:25 pm

Dennis

you are doing a bang up job, and I do know how much work there is in maintaining a web site..

we will all get used to the new board, in fact it has a lot of things in it that I like, especially the inbox!

Keep up the good work...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Never knew the old board was such a problem! I don't blame you for changing. Anyone else may have just forgot the whole deal. I thought the change was just for the sake of change. Thanks very much for all your time and talent.
Jim Hudson

Jeff
10+ Years
10+ Years

Message Board Change

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:17 pm

Dennis,
Ditto ---jk

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:57 am

Dennis,

If it were not for you and this board I would have been stuck as a new Cudaholic. Probably would still be trying to get the gas cap off. I like the new board and will conttinue to support it. Thanks for all your hard work.
Last edited by Brent on Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnston
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Johnston » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:21 pm

I always had to change at work! I know I can change when I play.I agree, most people would just have called it quits.Thanks! for all you have done.

Bob Fujita
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Board

Postby Bob Fujita » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:10 pm

Nice Job Dennis - I too was a skeptic at first, but I think the new board is a big improvement. Thanks for your efforts. Bob

Dennis (51)
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Board

Postby Dennis (51) » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:37 pm

Dennis,
I for one appreciate the work you put into maintence of this forum. I realize its a lot of work and if it makes your life easier then we're behind you.

Problem, as I see it, is that we're a bunch of crochety old coots who are suspicious of change. Why else would we still be fooling around with 50 year old machines when there are plenty of new green, blue, and orange (UGH!) tractors that do the same jobs?

Dennis (51)

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:39 pm

I beleive we all feel the same way about the old discussion board. We feel like it is an old trusted friend. A friend we could turn to when something was wrong with our Cub and we couldn't figure it out. Or maybe we just wanted someone to visit with, or maybe give one of our friends a hard time. We always get a good feeling if we can answer a question and help somebody a little. Maybe we needed our spirits lifted a little, so we log on.
We are terribly mistaken. The old discussion board wasn't our friend, it was just a tool we used to all come together. Nothing has been lost, but gained with a new and better tool to even better keep the friendships together. We will soon get used to the new tool and will come to like it better than the old, and the most important thing is the members are here and THAT is the heart of the discussion board!
Michael Az

ken flannery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ken flannery » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:03 am

Dennis,
You the Man! It may be different but it really isn't the board it is the people that make the board. YOU! Are a great guy for doing what you are doing with this web site. The people that contribute make it a great place to come to. It's like the family you never knew you had. The changing of the board is like the kids growing up and moving out. It's different but they still know where you are and you know where they are. Life always goes on! Thanks Dennis for all you do!
Ken

Gar Maunula
10+ Years
10+ Years

Message Board Change

Postby Gar Maunula » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:20 pm

Dennis:

For the past year, the advice from people on this board has helped me keep my '49 Cub running. I don't comment very often, but I do heed the excellent advice.

You have my support in making the necessary changes.

Gar

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”