This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Manual Server Problems with FireFox & Other Browsers

How do I.... ?
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Cub Manual Server Problems with FireFox & Other Browsers

Postby Rudi » Wed May 23, 2007 12:25 pm

There has been some spirited discussion I guess you can call it, in various threads lately about the different functionality problems with the Cub Manual Server. These primarily are:
  1. Inability of the phpBBS software to currently handle syntax problems with punctuation such as the ", ? and a few other issues. This is evidenced by the broken links or buried links that do not show as buried links.
  2. Inability of some browsers such as Firefox or Solaris to read url's properly and deliver the requested pages to the browser for viewing. Firefox being the main culprit here.
  3. Inability of many browsers to no longer understand or handle Basic HTML or Hyper Text Markup Language which is also known as basic code.
I humbly request input from all of our members so inclined to offer Constructive Criticism and helpful technical expertise to help solve these problems.

One must keep in mind that there is not just one problem that can be simply or easily fixed. The syntax problems for phpBBS can be fixed relatively simple -- keeping in mind that currently on the server there are over 12,067 files and 640 individual directories that must be renamed using the Unicode standard so as not to confuse phpBBS, this is still a mind boggling task. Also keep in mind that as this particular project progresses, there still is another gig or 2 of data waiting to be uploaded to the server, and whilst I am busy fixing these problems, updates will have to wait.

So here is the crux of the problem.
  1. Syntax substitution with Unicode statements
  2. Firefox and other browsers problems with interpreting files such as .ppt etc., and the lack of good plugins or lack of knowledge where such plugins may be found.
  3. Firefox and other browsers problems with interpreting simple graphic files such as gif's, jpg's and bmp when used as a button, icon etc.
  4. Microsoft IE's ability to read it all.. with essentially no problems, but the rather frustrating problem of MS IE being the primary focus of hackers who have no life :!: :wink: :shock: :roll: :!:

PS.. BD and John.. got it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Rudi on Wed May 23, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Does that mean there are not now??
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 23, 2007 12:42 pm

Will there be again?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Wed May 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Tis is the best fix I have found. My banks on-line bill pay only works in IE, but the rest of the site is fine in Firefox. All you have to do after loading the plug-in is hover the mouse in the lower right corner over the Firefox icon and left-click and the the rendering engine switches to IE INSIDE THE TAB. You can also set certain sites (such as Rudi's) to always open in an IE tab.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Rudi, my son-in law said he would mirror your site for us at no charge.

His company is Rackspace Manged Hosting.

This will just be another copy of your site on his server.

If you are anyone else would have the time or inclination, here is a little download (free for 30 days) that will turn your jpegs into pdf files. The program is only for pc's or I would do it :) you know i'm a Mac person though :lol:

http://www.download.com/Image2PDF/3000- ... ag=lst-0-1

Having the jpegs edited into pdf's would be very nice. Please let me know if you would like him to set up the mirror site.

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Fri May 25, 2007 7:57 am

Rudi - I do have the software to convert any or all of the manuals from your server to pdf's if you are interested. Nice thing is we could watermark them for you and keep these cd burning clowns from reselling your site. Just PM me if you are ever interested in converting them to pdf.

Lance
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Mike:

I am not sure what having a mirror will accomplish.. I really don't. And then of course any time I upload a new file the mirror would have to be updated to. I am curious though, so further info would be useful. I appreciate the offer and would like to learn more..

As for pdf's.. Lance has already approached me and so have a few others to help in this project.. and I am thinking on it a lot, and I haven't forgotten guys.. just been really busy. It may be the fall before I can seriously get it all caught up. Still have my pole barn to build... amongst the other items on the honey do list..

Lance:

I do like the idea of the pdf's, and I love the idea of the watermark.. that is a definite. I would like to use that Cub with the Cub Manual Server title underneath it as the watermark itself.

For the time being however I do have some concerns..

1. PDF's can be huge. I have a couple that are 300 megs... try that on dial-up :!: :roll: :wink: :D
2. PDF's take a while to upload even on high speed extreme.. such as I have.
3. Dial-upper's have a hard time with it.

4. I am kinda hoping to get all of my manuals that I currently have up to the server and maybe the important ones we are missing. Then, Lance and all, I would certainly love to have the help to turn them all into PDF's etc.

There are a few other projects I am pondering as well..

First is to try and get the server glitch free and see if the syntax substitution will work.

So far ---- Firefox still cannot read the end files even with the Unicode substitutes in the url :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :? :shock: :cry:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Rudi, I thought that if you're having troubles with Firefox and other things that another server would be a fix. Rackspace is always on 24-7 and all browsers will work.

I think if you update the manuals or any content on your website, they will be updated on Rackspace too. You will control what is on the server. Rackspace will be another host. They host 1000's of sites worldwide without any problems.

Just say the word an we're ready to go. :)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Mike:

Well.. what can I say. If this might be a work around.. let's try it. I will still be able to do what I do, but maybe this will fix the Firefox problem easily,.

Go fer it.. :!: :D And many thanks to your son-in-law, your help is appreciated.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat May 26, 2007 11:51 am

Rudi. I sent you an email.

Mike
George Willer

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”