This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not opening in a new tab or page

How do I.... ?
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Not opening in a new tab or page

Postby Hengy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Hello all!

While I am getting used to the new forum and am getting around in it much more easily, I am finding one minor annoyance that wasn't there in the old forum.

When clicking on a link in the old format, you would be taken to either a new tab in I/E or a new window would open up. The forum would still be in the background and available. In the new format, when you click a link, it opens up in the same tab and window and moves "past" the forum. In order to get back to the page you were previously on, you now have to use the back button or re-navigate to the page from the homepage.

The best example is the flash chat. I am a regular visitor to the chat every night, and I usually get to the chat from the main forum page. When on the forum index, I click the chat link, and usually it would open in a new window. I could then say hello to the folks in the chat and monitor that while still browsing the forums. Now, I have to open a new window from I/E and then click through to the forums again and browse that way.

I know I can right click on the link for the chat and force the program to open the chat in another window or tab, but is there a way to get links to operate in this new format like they did in the old format?

Sorry this turned into a book! Just another case of "inquiring minds"

Thanks again!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Not opening in a new tab or page

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Mike, I miss that, too.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Mike,

This is the explanation from the creators of the forum software:

Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

It can be changed with modification edits to the forum software to behave like phpBB2, however, I'm very conservative when it comes to modifications that may turn around and bite me in the rear later on; such as installing security updates to the software -- this has happened to me a few times already.

It is an adjustment to right click links, and I have to be come accustom to as well, or I'll just let them open in the existing window/tab. For the chat, there is a link at the top right, since I added that link, I'll modify it to open in a new window. How is that for a compromise?

Dennis

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Dennis (47 Cub) wrote:Mike,

This is the explanation from the creators of the forum software:

Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

It can be changed with modification edits to the forum software to behave like phpBB2, however, I'm very conservative when it comes to modifications that may turn around and bite me in the rear later on; such as installing security updates to the software -- this has happened to me a few times already.

It is an adjustment to right click links, and I have to be come accustom to as well, or I'll just let them open in the existing window/tab. For the chat, there is a link at the top right, since I added that link, I'll modify it to open in a new window. How is that for a compromise?

Dennis

Sounds good to me, Dennis! I can see their point with the security thing. Most of the time, I click the "X" like I used to do, and then I get one of those Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments when I realized I did the wrong thing...

Thanks for that change for the flash chat! That will make it easier!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”