This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Computer software?

How do I.... ?
dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Computer software?

Postby dirt devil » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:12 am

I have a manual for my Truck that I can install onto my PC. Now it will not work with the new OS XP, Vista, or Windows 7. It will work on Win 98. With the newer OS like vista and Win7 you are supposed to be able to run backwards compatible programs somehow. I haven't seen much on this and thought that I would ask to see if anyone has done this. The issue I think is that the program for the manual is designed to run on 16 bit platform not 32/64 bit. Also the vender is not aware of any updates to make the program work on the newer OS and its not availible for 32/64 systems to there knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Computer software?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 am

I have only heard a few reports on Windows 7, but my son has it on a new PC, and told me he is happy with it, the backwards compatibility is quite good, he has several older programs he uses it with and is very happy. As to Vista, form the reports I have heard, it is a very sorry program, backward compatibility is poor, as is most everything else it tries to do.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:42 pm

There is a lot to be said about printing information on paper. The problem with modern technology is constant modernization. It is a severe problem with the federal government, lots of data is stored on media that can no longer be accessed.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Dave:

Win XP should be able to run any 16bit program from Win95 or Win98/Win98SE. You have to enable compatibility mode. I forget where that is at the moment, but I will find it. And a copy is on it's way to you tonight......

oh btw. Windows 7 was supposedly going to be called WinXP2 -- it is apparently based on XP SP3 which is probably the most stable platform since Win3.11 and has parts of Vista that actually worked... :roll: :arrow: :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Rudi wrote:Dave:

Win XP should be able to run any 16bit program from Win95 or Win98/Win98SE. You have to enable compatibility mode. I forget where that is at the moment, but I will find it. And a copy is on it's way to you tonight......

oh btw. Windows 7 was supposedly going to be called WinXP2 -- it is apparently based on XP SP3 which is probably the most stable platform since Win3.11 and has parts of Vista that actually worked... :roll: :arrow: :wink: :D

This might be helpful.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Roy:

Thanks for the link to the KB article. I knew it was in properties couldn't remember which properties group.

Dave:

Right click on the program icon for the manual, then left click on properties then the compatibility tab. You can set the parameters there...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Rudi wrote:Roy:

Thanks for the link to the KB article. I knew it was in properties couldn't remember which properties group.

Dave:

Right click on the program icon for the manual, then left click on properties then the compatibility tab. You can set the parameters there...

Rudi,
It is so cool to be able to give back a little help for all that I have received!! :{_}: :{_}:

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks guys, Vista and Windows 7 both have this option but won't work with the program that I am trying to run. I think that it has to do with both of my OS being 64 bit. However I have been doing some reading and found that Windows Virtual PC 2007 will allow you to run XP on Vista or W7. Now I am trying to see if that will work on Vista as it will not work on W7 Home Premium. It will only work on the W7 Pro or Ultimate.

If you have any other ideas I am listening. Will keep ya posted if anything should change. Thanks
Dave

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Speaking of Windows 7...does anyone have a good working knowledge of this OS that I could ask a few questions of? Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm

I have a daughter that has a bit of experience with it. What are your questions? I'll be happy to run them by her.

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Speaking of Windows 7...does anyone have a good working knowledge of this OS that I could ask a few questions of? Thanks.

I'll ask one, WHY :?: :?: :wink: :D :D :D :D

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:08 pm

I've had a machine with Win7 for about 2 weeks now. So far, it has been working well for me and I like some of the new UI behaviors. The only wierd thing so far is when I try to open a PDF with IE. Adobe reader opens a window and then throws a pop-up on it that says
Cannot use Adobe Reader to view PDF in your web browser. Reader will now exit. Please exit your browser and try again.
with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons. I hit "OK", the window goes away and I can see the PDF in a new browser tab. I don't know if it is the browser's fault or Adobe's. It seems to only happen once per browser execution. Have to shut IE down and restart it to repeat the problem. Maybe some browser setting I haven't found yet?

I have some potential backwards compatibility problems I haven't addressed yet. My FTP program may not work. I also have an old scanner that may need a non-existent driver. It uses a parallel interface, which the new computer doesn't even have. I am sure I can plug in a parallel interface, but lack of a driver may still do it in. I may have to toss out a perfectly good scanner and buy a more modern one that plugs into a USB port. I have Win7 Home Premium so the compatibility mode isn't there.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Jim:

It has been doing that with IE8 on XP2SP3 for a few weeks now, seems to have occured after a critical update patch.

A little irritating..

Win7 is on the way, gonna be 2 student ($39.00 upgrade) puters running it. At $300.00+ a pop for everyone else,, I ain't likely to upgrade in the foreseeable future.. :roll:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Rudi wrote:It has been doing that with IE8 on XP2SP3 for a few weeks now, seems to have occured after a critical update patch.

My old computer is XP Home Edition SP3 with IE8 and has never done it.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Maybe y'all put too much faith in Bill :?

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”