This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help converting .doc files to Rich Text Format

How do I.... ?
Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36748

Need help converting .doc files to Rich Text Format

Postby Rianna » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm

I need some help please. I've transferred a lot of recipes from my desktop to my laptop and they were saved with the Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document (.doc) extension . The laptop came with Microsoft Office Word and it keeps asking for a "key" to be entered. If I have a key, it's nowhere to be found and if I did find it, it would probably be for the trial period only. I don't want to purchase anything...I just want to be able to convert so that my word pad thingie will open it without a lot of symbols and such.
I do know how to convert one file at a time but my problem is...this Office popup says that I can only use it 25 times (and I'm close to that number now) and then it will lock. I have WAY over 25 recipes:)
If anybody knows to to convert multiple files, please let me know step by step...cause I'm a dummy:) lol
Thanks in advance!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help converting .doc files to Rich Text Format

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Rianna, email them to me and I will convert them for you. Send me one to try and let's see what happens,
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

It's on the way.:) Thanks so much!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Conversion is on it's way back to you.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Just so you know, you either have an unlicensed copy of Office or you need the original Office disk which has the product key number on it. Once that code is entered, your machine is registered as having an authentic copy and not a bootleg version. As a trial, you can open up the program 25 times before it locks up. Basically you get a "business month" of time free to decide to buy it if you shut it down each day. That does not mean you can only convert 25 files. To save the file as an rtf, find the "save as" option and then at the bottom of the window there will be a file extension drop-down where you can select other file extensions, like .rtf. Sometime some of the functions are limited when you only have the trial mode...

That way if you find other files, you know how to do it later.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

One other easy fix.

Just open WordPad on your computer. Once opened, click File, Open, then at the bottom of the window where Files of Type is shown, open the Window and select "Word for Windows (*.doc). Select the folder that your Word files are located.

WordPad will open them just great. Formatting may not be exact. Then as you have each opened, Select Save As and by default it will save it as an RTF file.

**EDIT** If you have trouble finding WordPad, just click Start, Run and type in "write" without the double-quotes and hit enter. Bingo!
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks to you all:) I've been busy getting them converted. I appreciate all of the good advice.

Mr. Bob...I ordered the laptop online. I guess all of the Microsoft software was already installed and they may have forgot to include the disc and/or information regarding this key. I don't know...this is my first experience with a new computer:) I'll check with the company it was purchased from and see if they can send me a disc.

Thanks again for helping me.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Rianna:

It really is much simpler. Right click on the file you want to open .. doesn't matter if it is a .doc, .wpd, .txt etc., because you simply click on the All Word Documents dialog box, scroll down the list of document types ... choose the one you wish. All word processors from Open Office, Word Perfect and Microsoft Office are capable of opening a multitude of documents. The one downside is that you may loose any formatting that is there. However with a previous version of Office/Word, the formatting should remain if the file is opened in a newer version of the suite.

Look on the bottom of your laptop or the back panel of your computer. You may have a COA tag for Microsoft Office if it came bundled with your package and the license was part of the package. Otherwise, as others have said it is a demo copy and may/may not be time/use limited.

I used to use Office a lot. However now I am becoming a convert to Open Office. Big selling point :?: FREE! which makes me happy. I am becoming a real fan of Open Source programming. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 am

Rudi wrote:Rianna:

It really is much simpler. Right click on the file you want to open .. doesn't matter if it is a .doc, .wpd, .txt etc., because you simply click on the All Word Documents dialog box, scroll down the list of document types ... choose the one you wish. All word processors from Open Office, Word Perfect and Microsoft Office are capable of opening a multitude of documents. The one downside is that you may loose any formatting that is there. However with a previous version of Office/Word, the formatting should remain if the file is opened in a newer version of the suite.

Look on the bottom of your laptop or the back panel of your computer. You may have a COA tag for Microsoft Office if it came bundled with your package and the license was part of the package. Otherwise, as others have said it is a demo copy and may/may not be time/use limited.

I used to use Office a lot. However now I am becoming a convert to Open Office. Big selling point :?: FREE! which makes me happy. I am becoming a real fan of Open Source programming. :D

When I right click, it's not giving me the option for the All Words Document. If I click on the "open with", it gives me a list of programs but all of them end up having symbols and weird stuff in them. Maybe it's because my desktop is Windows XP and the laptop is Windows 7?
I'll look into Open Office and see about getting that:) Thanks for the info!!
I feel like such a dunce now!! The product key IS underneath the computer!! Duhhhh me!!!
Guess I need to start wearing my glasses on a regular basis because I looked and didn't see it...put on my glasses and there it is!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 am

Rianna:

To open the file choose Open with Microsoft Word. Then when Word comes up, you can use the All Word Documents button. To get Windows 7 to open older programs enable compatibility mode. The Microsoft site also has compatibility modules for older programs and file types as well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 am

Ok...going to try that in a few. For some reason I'm getting an invalid key error:(

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:55 am

Rianna,
Which method are you using? Need more input on the invalid key error. :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 am

That key is probably for Windows itself. You probably don't have one for Office.

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:23 am

Mr E wrote:Rianna,
Which method are you using? Need more input on the invalid key error. :lol:

lol At this point, I have NO IDEA what method I'm using!! :oops: I'm about ready to holler!!! :censored: :censored: Yall probably think I'm super slowwwwwwwww....apparently, I am!! :lol:

Mr. Jim...I think you are correct. I just shot an email off to the company to see if they can help me with the key. If not, I'm uninstalling the program and getting something different.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am

Jim pretty much hit on the answer. I don't know of any bundles that offer Windows Office in it's entirety for free.

If you do have the ability to open Microsoft Office it would be limited how many times you can open it as Bob said. Since you already know how to convert them go ahead and do them all while it is open if it lets you.

If all else fails, my offer still stands. That last one took 10 seconds to do.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”