This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help converting .doc files to Rich Text Format

How do I.... ?
Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36748

Re: Need help converting .doc files to Rich Text Format

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 am

I'm going through everything now to see if I've missed any documents. It shouldn't be a big deal for me since all of this is still on my desktop but whenever something like this happens, I have to "fix" it or I won't be satisfied. I need to stop doing that!! lol
Thanks Barnyard. I appreciate your offer. Hopefully I will have it finished in a little bit:) If not, I may take you up on it!

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mr E » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 am

Rianna,
There is another simple fix. I am reluctant to share this, not knowing how computer savvy you are. :oops:

But, if you wanted to use WordPad instead of MS Word to open Word documents, you can:

In Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab > DOC

Can you change the "Opens with:" program to "WordPad"

Now, if you click on a document with the .DOC extension, it will automatically open using WordPad.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 am

Mr E wrote:Rianna,
There is another simple fix. I am reluctant to share this, not knowing how computer savvy you are. :oops:

But, if you wanted to use WordPad instead of MS Word to open Word documents, you can:

Now, if you click on a document with the .DOC extension, it will automatically open using WordPad.

:{_}: :{_}: MR. E!!!!!!!!!!!! :||): :||): I LOVE YOU!!! lol
While it wasn't as simple as you typed it (I do not have the folder options under tools), I did figure it out and as of right now, all of my documents are being opened with Wordpad!! I knew there was a way to do it but didn't have a clue HOW!! Now I know!!
I never thought a laptop could be so intimidating but this one has me scratching my head at every turn!!

Thank you so much!!!!! I owe ya one!!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:56 am

Rianna wrote:
Mr E wrote:Rianna,

:{_}: :{_}: MR. E!!!!!!!!!!!! :||): :||): I LOVE YOU!!! lol
While it wasn't as simple as you typed it (I do not have the folder options under tools), I did figure it out and as of right now, all of my documents are being opened with Wordpad!! I knew there was a way to do it but didn't have a clue HOW!! Now I know!!
I never thought a laptop could be so intimidating but this one has me scratching my head at every turn!!

Thank you so much!!!!! I owe ya one!!!!

Glad to be able to help you!! :{_}: :{_}: I'm guessing you are running Windows 7; the instructions were for Windows XP - which is what I am currently using.
Enjoy!!!

May still want to follow up on your licensing issue with Word. Nice program. Need to use it if you have already bought it. :lol:
You can always reverse the directions and flip back to opening the files with Word if you need to do so.

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Yes Sir, I'm using Windows 7 on the laptop. I prefer XP...that's all I've ever used on the desktop but I couldn't pass on this deal. If the Word is for trial only, I'll just leave it be. If I hear from the place I purchased the laptop from and they have the key (and it's FREE to use) I may switch back. We'll see:)
I thank you again!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Do as Rudi says. Down load Openoffice.com. It does everything Microsoft does and is free. No worry about keys and or trials. I've used it for over a year and it is great.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Rianna:

Sorry for the delay. Em's :||): birthday today and I had to get some seat time in the garden.. :{_}:

On some packages such as offered by Toshiba you can get MS Office in the bundle depending on what you choose. Not being sure of what model laptop you got or the price point kinda leaves it up in the air. Which is why I posted that you can look on the bottom of the laptop for the key or COA which is what that little 25 digit Alpha/Numeric oddity thing is if it came with your system. Usually it is just a trial though as it was on my Toshiba Satellite Pro P300 with Vista Business as I did not upgrade to the full Office package when I ordered the laptops.

Office/MS Word is an expensive suite and for my money definitely not worth the money IMHO. I have had Office pretty much since it's inception which included MS Word (it was and is essentially a stripped version of Novell/Corel's Word Perfect which was pretty much the primary office Word Processing Suite since well the very late 70's early 80's), and it has never been as good as Word Perfect which I have also had since the very early 80's. My wife was one of the very first in the National Archives to be schooled on Word Perfect on the old AES system and it has basically stayed with the same basic functionality (albeit with upgrades to keep up with competition) as it had from the gitgo. A very robust but user friendly processor.

MS Word also isn't as good as Open Office either. However, most government departments both in the US and here demand it.. so it has become the default word processor. I will leave the rest of my opinions on MS Word to meself... :roll: :wink: :D

On the plus side of the coin, Open Office is a very useful Word Processor. It is as I mentioned before Open Source Code and best of all it is Free!!!. Did I mention Free!! ?? :D I am liking it more and more. The beauty of Open Office is that you can open literally any document from a notepad/wordpad .txt or .rtf file to the latest .docx file from Office 2007. Great program. If you want to find out more about Open Office, click this link I want to learn more about OpenOffice.org or you can Download Open Office. They have pretty good support as well and a very good knowledge base.

Investigate it. You will probably like it.

Ahh., I just saw Bill's post :wink:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rianna
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rianna » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:23 am

I will take a look at it this weekend. Had a rough night last night and was up from midnight til 3 a.m. pretty sick and then up at 5. Now I've got to go in to work for a few hours today and then go do my normal Friday stuff so that I can work all day tomorrow. Not feeling it at all:(
Thanks to you all for the info. I will look into it and probably go ahead and get it:)

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”