This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Computer question

How do I.... ?
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Computer question

Postby Jackman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:31 pm

My puter is running very low on space I was told that I need to open the browser and clear the Cache ,,,,,,,, can clearing the cache be easily explain and if not just a starting point would help, I don't know what a browser or a cache is :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Re: Computer question

Postby Mr E » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 pm

If you are using Internet Explorer:

Click on Tools on the menu bar (up top)
Then click on Internet Options,
On the General tab, about 1/2 way down the page, click the Delete button under "Browsing History".

(this is for Version 8 of IE, but the older versions are very similar.)
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks, I using Google chrome there are no tools bar,,,,,,,,,, I sure I can do this just need that starting point...

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Ohh I found it little wrench top right ,,,,,,,,,, Thanks

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Yep, you are on it.

Little wrench, Tools, Clear Browsing History

:{_}: :{_}:

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:31 pm

You people know him as Mister E but the ones closest to him know it is really MR. ATARI.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Three of my favorites, DQ, A Cub, and Yogie
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I am in deep deep trouble :roll: ,,,,,,,,, I cleared cache and browse data last night and shut down the puter today daughter (16 years old) turns on puter for first time since I cleared cache and data and guess what,,,,,,,,,,,, her Ipod Itunes down load is gone :evil: I lost all her bought music probably couple hundred dollars worth and she on a rampage,,,,,,,,,,, anyone know if this is a reversible problem? All I did was clear cache and browse data and nothing else, there used to be an Itunes icon on the main screen but thats gone now.

Any advice is appreciated....

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Jackman wrote:I All I did was clear cache and browse data and nothing else, there used to be an Itunes icon on the main screen but thats gone now.

Any advice is appreciated....

If you really only cleared the browser data, I would bet the music is still there. It should have been stored in a separate directory.

Do a search for *.mp* I don't do music, but I do believe the iPod music files extension is WP4, so a search for *.wp* should find them. If this search turns up music files, you will now know where they are located. The icon can be recreated.

If all else fail, you should be able to return your computer to a previous state. Click Start, All Program, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Then select the date and time closest to the time you did the clean-up.

Let us know how it goes.

Roy

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Roy , when you say "search for *.wp*" that would be for my computer not a google search ? How do I search for *.wp* ?

Thanks I appreciate the help most likely this is over my level of understanding . PC's are very frustrating. to me :oops:

Thanks again Jack

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Click Start, then click Search. Then click "All Files and Folders". Then enter as shown below: (click the image to enlarge)

Search.jpg

Not sure what OS (Operating System) you are running. These instructions are based on Windows XP.

PS Don't be too surprised if you discover that music files is the real cause of low disk space. :lol: I worked on one computer that had that issue. Almost ALL of the used space was due to music & video files. :lol:

**EDIT**
Doing a little research, looks like some music files have an extension of .m4a. Might try a search for *.m4a if first search doesn't find anything.

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks I am on Google Chrome I could not find anything similar to your pic I did get on the phone with my Son aka The Tech he talked me through each step and found the Itunes music but still no screen Icon , he advised to just down load fronm itunes and it will pick up the music will try that later I got to go now .

Thats interesting what you mention about Itunes and space and it all makes sense now I have three kids and they each have an ipod so I imagine there is a lot of music saved and taking up space, I never thought of that.

Thanks Jack :big afro:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Jack:

I would suggest that you strongly suggest to your kids that they each purchase a flash drive.. probably in the 16 gig to 32 gig range wherein they could store there own .mp4's which will free up a whole lot of space on your computer. :D

Your computer will be a whole lot faster. :{_}:

Edit: added information

An even better solution if it is possible is to get them or have them get their own computers be it a desktop or a laptop. With all the deals lately it should be relatively painless if it is feasible.

Toshiba Laptops - Satellite Series
Dell Laptops and Dell Desktops

Personally I really like the Toshiba series especially the Satellite Pro laptops they are really good. You might also find Returned/In Warranty units for less than half the price of a new one. Tigerdirect might be one possible avenue although some of the suppliers I used to buy from also offer these units. Still have factory warranties etc., and are very economical way to buy new laptops/computers. Just a thought
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Rudi thats where were headed a new computer kids get the old one me and the wife got a new one, the old HP is a cheapy but should be good for Itunes. Gotta tell a story , recently we bought the kids an Acer laptop it came with a carrying case a very very poor design carry case it was open in the front not the top like normal anyway daughter is carrying the laptop in the case it falls out and screen shatters we owned that lap top for 3 weeks :cry: , just glad it was not a more expensive Mac like they wanted.........

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Jack:

Not funny huh???

That is why I absolutely love Toshiba. Did you know that if you buy a new Toshiba and you buy the extended accidental warranty which could be up to 3 years... and if the laptop fell, got dropped, dog ate it, neighbourhood kids jumped on it... guess what :?: :?: :?: :shock: Yup, you got it :D covered !!

Now, the laptop can be repaired rather inexpensively. I just did an Acer with a cracked screen. The screen was a $145.00 and $45.00 to install it. That was not a bad deal considering the laptop was only a year old and was an inexpensive entry level model that retailed for about $500.00.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”