This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NO chat for me

How do I.... ?
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

NO chat for me

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

Due to me not being able to get on the forum at home, I will only be on some at work now
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Re: NO chat for me

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am

Boss...Did you steal some parts from your computer / internet setup to put on the "Hog Waller Cub" ?? :lol:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 am

That is a shame Boss. I know you have fought with it for a long time, well, ever since the last forum upgrade.

We missed you last night, and the knowledge you pass on every night will be missed.

A lot of us have been having issues with getting dropped and lately, there has been a frustrating delay with the frequency/delay of it accepting the enter key when posting. I thought it was my keyboard, but we discovered last night that many of us were having the same issue. I just talk more than others.

Hopefully they will get it fixed and you can rejoin us soon.

Dale

cody's cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17967
Tractors Owned: farmall cub-mine

farmall superc-dad's

Postby cody's cub » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Boss i wish you luck in getting on the forum you will be missed in the chat
cody's cub
ImageImage

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm

i've been having problems too, having the same problems as every body else.

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 pm

dont leave me out i have to, mostly the enter key deal
Have A Nice Day!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 am

I can't help with the not being able to log in, but due to the amount of traffic on the forum Dennis has had to slow the chat down. An individual cannot make a post sooner than 30 seconds after a previous one. I do not know the complete information on how the chat and forum are interconnected, but apparently the chat polls the forum to verify if they are a legitimate user every time anyone tries to post, and while the chat is in use that puts a lot of extra traffic on the forum.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 am

is there anyway to put the old settings back to what they were.the improvements on the forum are good but the chat isnt as good as it used to be.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm

The slowing of the chat is not due to the changes in forum, but due to increased traffic. The Chat is a sideline of the forum, I think we will have to learn to live with it being slower. Even as slow as it is now it is still faster than when i was on dial up.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub

Postby Georgia Boy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 pm

Well I dont guess everyone can be made happy, but for the ones of us who enjoy the chat, have enjoyed Boss' participation and have learned a lot from him....it is very disappointing..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:48 am

I really have to agree with John on this one. I used to be on Chat quite often (usually in the winter) and it was always slightly time-retarded which one would expect. Dial-up made it even slower.

As mentioned the forums are the main focus of the site and the community and it is where the vast majority spend their time. Therefore it only stands to reason that the bandwidth must be allocated to the high traffic areas. You have to remember that it isn't just our members who use up the bandwidth. Guests, search bots and other entities use up the bandwidth as well which tends to slow things down. Wait times for posting, refreshing and moving from thread to thread or forum to forum increase with higher usage. No one can control the search engines (no would one want to as they are what help to keep farmallcub.com at the top of the pecking order when it comes to searches on Cubs), or guests who may someday become members.

Chat is simply as sideline app that Dennis has provided. It has always been a perk, and it will be around even though it may not be as fast as one would like. As John said, even with the compressed bandwidth, it is still much faster than dial-up speeds where which is what was common when Chat was introduced. We should be thankful that we still have access to the Chat, instead of bemoaning the fact that it isn't as fast as we would like it. I for one (and yes I am an infrequent user due to time limitations) enjoy Chat when I can get on and it is definitely a lot of fun even if it can be slow at times.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub

Postby Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am

Hopefully, something can be done to fix Boss's problem. To many, he is one of the most valuable cub pros on the forum. When able, he is on the forum everyday and if not replying to an issue that someone may be having, he is on the phone talking to them about it. He is helping with any issue they may be having from tractors to implements. And not to forget, the host to one of the largest cub fests around.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:55 pm

I know I for one would be willing to even pay a membership fee, IF we could have it back like it was before Boss and many of us started having problems after the last update.

I am sure it is an expence to host the site. No doubt those costs must be covered. It has been since the site started being funded by ads, rather than just by site sponsors, that these issues started. The ads must also be using up valuable bandwidth which also contributes to these issues. There must be remedies to balance cost with functionality with funding with user satisfaction.

It is a select few of us that use chat on a nightly basis. Another group that is occasional and some just once in a while. I normally am the first on and the last off chat- every night. Many many new members pop in while exploring the site long after everyone else is gone, and they are glad to have someone to help them with their questions, and give them a personal Welcome to the forum.

I would not call the chat forum a "Perk". It is a vital part of the forum, and can give members immediate help with questions they have in real time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:46 pm

What type of service from your ISP do you all have? Is it Dial-up at home, ADSL/DSL lite, or Extreme or is it cable lite or extreme? If Boss can access at work and not at home then I doubt if the real problem is on the forum end, more likely on the ISP/client end.

As mentioned, I don't get into chat often until the snow is pretty deep but I will try to pop into chat tonight.

You have to remember that this is not a forum software problem and has absolutely nothing to do with the upgrade... but it has everything to do with traffic volumes. Those have increased a lot. Look at our membership numbers - that almost speaks for itself. We know historically as well that we have as many guests as we have members at many times.. so it all boils down to traffic, traffic, traffic and of course the fact that the net is only as fast as the slowest node between you and the forum host. And there is nothing Dennis can do about that. Membership fees won't fix that either....... :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:22 pm

FYI:

* The ads have nothing to do with bandwidth; they come from a completely different server (Google's).
* There will NEVER be a payed membership in my lifetime -- NEVER.
* The chat is an enhancement to the site and is not a vital component to it's operation -- enjoy it for what it is.
* Members having problems accessing the site can contact me directly and I'll do everything possible on the host side to ensure they can connect; however, I cannot fix members computer or internet connections.

Dennis
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”