This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How do I.... ?
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Avatars for Dummies

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Al:

Ok.. pretty simple. This exercise is simply understanding file size. .jpg's or jpegs are small but not sufficiently small enough to qualify for avatar size restrictions. .gif files are what we want. You got it all the way to the .jpg steps, but the file is still too large, not in pixels but in kbs. .jpgs will simply not compress enough to achieve the desired output size. So, when you get the .jpg down to something close to 80x80 but not over... - save that pic and then reopen the file and then save it as a .gif -- it may come up as a compuserve gif file in the dialog box... but that is ok it is the correct file type.

Once you save it as a .gif then you will be able to upload it as an avatar. Let us know how it works out.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 pm

My avatar is 80x80, 2.3k and is a JPG.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 pm

The avatar settings currently are 120x120 pixels and 2048 bytes (2k). I made this change when we moved to the new host -- enjoy.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I've spent hours trying to get an avatar to fit the requirements. I've had 50x38 and it still says too big. How can I get a picture up for my avatar?

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 pm

twotone wrote:I've spent hours trying to get an avatar to fit the requirements. I've had 50x38 and it still says too big. How can I get a picture up for my avatar?

Tom

If the dimensions are in the range, then check the size (2k)... if it's larger, it won't accept it.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 pm

twotone wrote:I've spent hours trying to get an avatar to fit the requirements. I've had 50x38 and it still says too big. How can I get a picture up for my avatar?

Tom

Back when I started this thread, I kept fooling and fooling with it, and never could get the pic I wanted to use below about 3.5K. Finally just said :censored: it. I think the pic might have been too big to start with, maybe starting with a 640x480 would work better.

It looks like the company that did the software for the website would include an automatic re-sizer, or at least make avitars a little more user friendly.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Super A wrote:

Tom

Back when I started this thread, I kept fooling and fooling with it, and never could get the pic I wanted to use below about 3.5K. Finally just said :censored: it. I think the pic might have been too big to start with, maybe starting with a 640x480 would work better.

It looks like the company that did the software for the website would include an automatic re-sizer, or at least make avitars a little more user friendly.

Al

Al, there is a plugin resizer for the forum, however, after I took a close look at it, it appeared to create more problems than it solved. If a better solution is out there, I will make the change.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dennis
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”