Links at the top of the page

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:05 pm

It used to be that whenever I needed to go to the photohost, member map, manuals or any of the other links at the top of the page those pages would open in a new window. That was nice since if I was responding to a post I could click on a link if I needed info and then toggle back and forth. Now when I click on them they open in the same window and I loose the post I was responding to. Is anybody else experiencing that or did something change when I started using a new PC?

Re: Links at the top of the page

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, same here, Bill. Unless I right-click and request a new tab/window it opens in the same session. This is happening in both Chrome and Safari.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Yup same here, seems like it changed a few days ago.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Right click lets me open in new tab or new window either one.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Depends on the browser, Opera used to automatically open in a new tab, now I have to right click, left click on open in new tab. That is ok, cause I had to do that with most of the browsers I use.. so no biggie ... :D

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Well if it is a browser thing then something else is different because I am using the same browser. It's no big deal to me, but I was curious if this PC is treating things differently.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Bill, it's not your browser, I get the same thing on an Apple. Just an extra step now. :D

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:27 pm

What I said was that "Opera used to automatically open in a new tab" but it doesn't do that anymore "now I have to right click, left click on open in new tab.".

Other browsers such as Google and Firefox and I think Opera, required that I right click to open in a new tab, at least that is how I performed that operation. Now Opera also requires the same procedure. The unknown in the equation is what has changed? Not sure if it is a function of the browser entirely or if it is something in the latest upgrade to the forum software. Simply an observation.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Rudi wrote:What I said was that "Opera used to automatically open in a new tab" but it doesn't do that anymore "now I have to right click, left click on open in new tab.".

Yeah, I saw that. That is why I said if it is a browser thing then I have a different problem. But If everybody else is having the same thing happen then something has changed on the forum and it is no big deal I was only trying to find out if everybody else experienced it. since it looks like others have, then my question has been answered. At least I know I am not having problems with my system.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 am

Barnyard wrote:
Rudi wrote:What I said was that "Opera used to automatically open in a new tab" but it doesn't do that anymore "now I have to right click, left click on open in new tab.".

Yeah, I saw that. That is why I said if it is a browser thing then I have a different problem. But If everybody else is having the same thing happen then something has changed on the forum and it is no big deal I was only trying to find out if everybody else experienced it. since it looks like others have, then my question has been answered. At least I know I am not having problems with my system.

Bill, I'm not a web programmer but no stretch of the imagination. But I think you can control in the code if a link opens in a new tab or a new window. Perhaps somebody changed the code? My thought, anyway. :{_}:

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 am

Mr E wrote:Bill, I'm not a web programmer but no stretch of the imagination. But I think you can control in the code if a link opens in a new tab or a new window. Perhaps somebody changed the code? My thought, anyway.

Roy, yes that can be done. I do that with some of the websites I have designed. That is probably what happened. As I said though, it's no big deal. At least I know it's not a problem I have.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 pm

NERD ALERT: The old links used the "target=_blank" attribute. This has been deprecated (also considered rude) and does not pass wc3 standards -- much like links embedded in forum posts. You'll likely start noticing this behavior more on the web as other developers begin writing code to current specifications.