This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A microsoft geek question

How do I.... ?
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

A microsoft geek question

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:38 am

OK guys. I think my last issues with the home computer has gone away. Things have been running smooth since I returned from the Bash. On my trip home, I decided to stop by the Verizon store and check on my options to upgrade my junk to me Galaxy tab 7. My fat fingers just couldn't get the right touch to make that thing work. Anyways, I needed something that would be a backup to my home computer and yet I could take it with me to shows and still get on the internet and use it for the dyno. Verizon had an offer I couldn't refuse. I bought a mini H/P laptop that has 3g/4g of it's own. I transfered my monthly service and bought the mini for $149.00. Now I have a keyboard and mouse and I'll hook up my printer at the shows for the dyno.

My question has to do with Windows updates. This morning I jumped on the cub site for my usual visit. After I finished and decided to get started with my day, I clicked on the shut down tab and to my surprize :shock: it said--------Do Not Turn Off Your Computer-----Installing Update 29 of 71 :evil: needless to say that took roughly 45 minutes to go through the whole shebang. What's up with all these updates? Is microsoft that good and on top of things or are they that bad and have lost control.

I'd like to just turn off all of them, but the box said the automatic update feature was recommended.

Help please. Does Apple have these same tactics?

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: A microsoft geek question

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:54 am

Rick, I'm no guru, by far, but I'd bet it has something to do with your new HP maybe having been in inventory for awhile. It was probably loaded with its software some time ago and it is just catching up to the latest versions.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 am

As Denny said, from the time your new laptop was manufactured and the software loaded there will have been several updates, including many security improvements to windows. It will continue to do that on occasion, but not to that extent. Don't forget about an antivirus, it is needed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 am

Rick,
I thing Denny has probably nailed it. :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Rick...you can turn off the updates in your control panel under windows updates...or customize them.
I personally set mine to only notify me when updates are available...I will then download and install when I want to.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Microsoft issues updates on Tuesday so sometimes mine has a few to do. You should always keep your updates up on both your Operating System and you AntiVirus. Just set the automatic to install updates every morning and let it do the work. Updates are important though.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:Rick...you can turn off the updates in your control panel under windows updates...or customize them.
I personally set mine to only notify me when updates are available...I will then download and install when I want to.

Thats what I do and works good for me. I shut off all updates and started having a few minor issues with my computer which was resolved by installing the updates at my will. When I got this pooter new I had 50 some updates to catch up on. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”