This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

converting scans to PDF or Word.

How do I.... ?
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

converting scans to PDF or Word.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:36 am

I have several manuals I have scanned to .jpg, and some more i intend to scan. I am looking for a program to convert them to either a .PDF file or a Word file. Preferably one that can tell the difference between pictures and lettering. I was curious as to what other have used and how happy they were with it. So far I have looked at Lucion Technologies File Center, and with IRIS OCR, but not really impressed with either one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: converting scans to PDF or Word.

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:42 pm

John,

I use Adobe Acrobat, but it is not cheap. However, if you want to Copy text from a PDF that was created by converting a scanned jpeg to a PDF, then you have to use some type of OCR software.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 am

John at work here i just a program called cutepdf. Its a free download. All you would have to do is go to print your jpg and select cut pdf instead of your normal printer. hit print and a box comes up asking where to save it and what to name it. the website should be cutepdf.com

MJ
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Josh, I have CuteFTP and use it pretty regular so I will give that a try. The one thing I do not care for about it is using the cloud for the conversion. I guess I am old fashioned, but I prefer keeping stuff in house.

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Thanks Josh, I have CuteFTP and use it pretty regular so I will give that a try. The one thing I do not care for about it is using the cloud for the conversion. I guess I am old fashioned, but I prefer keeping stuff in house.

That's the FTP version. You can get the just the pdf printer and that's all local machine not on the cloud.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 am

Its called cute pdf writer. They have free version. only thing is that its is about a 5mb file. but it works great. I use it almost everyday.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

I tried it, but I need one that is also an ocr to convert scanned documents to pdf, all the version on the website did was put the entire jpg file in pdf format. still not a text document. Plus the version on the website installed an ASK tool bar and changed my browser to make ASK my home page. All with out ASKing me first.. :x

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I tried it, but I need one that is also an ocr to convert scanned documents to pdf, all the version on the website did was put the entire jpg file in pdf format. still not a text document. Plus the version on the website installed an ASK tool bar and changed my browser to make ASK my home page. All with out ASKing me first.. :x

sorry John. I'm not sure of any programs off hand that will make it editable. But i'm sure there is some thing out there. i'll keep an eye out.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am

John,
I scanned about 15,000 pages of manuals directly to a pdf page. Once you have a pdf, the full Adobe Acrobat version has an option to run OCR to make it a searchable document. Then the full version also allows for bookmarking, which it really handy when trying to navigate an 800 page manual. Most of the parts manual I scanned were all cropped and bookmarked. I found that OCR worked fairly well, but it is not perfect.

I now have the full Acrobat again to do some more bookmarking. You can't do that with the free reader, but I think you can make pdfs with it via the printing suggestion. If you want to assemble the manuals into pdfs I will be glad to help by converting them to OCR and bookmarking them. I am always interested in adding to the pdf manual archive I starting a few years ago that is now up to 2 gig, 779 files in 82 folders.

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”