This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

UPS odor

How do I.... ?
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

UPS odor

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am

Just received my-ever first UPS unit on Friday. Bought from Amazon. This thing really stinks, smells a bit like cresols, the active ingredient in Lysol. Cresols are a type of phenolic. My hand has the odor briefly after I pickup the unit. Internet search shows numbers of odor complaints but not very many considering how many USP units must be in use.
The odor is not hydrogen sulfide. The unit is warm at one place, but not to the point of discomfort to the hand. The unit I have is rated 300 watts, but the largest load on it has been about 28 watts. And it stinks when powered up with no load placed on it for hours.
I moved it to the garage and plugged it in to see if the odor will subside over time. Thus far, this thing is intolerable inside the house.
Users of some units also complain of noise. My sense of smell is quite good, my hearing is poor.
I plan to use the unit in the room in which I sleep.
Have you had good experience with a specific unit? What brand and exact model?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27502
Tractors Owned: 1954 super A-1 6-volt

Re: UPS odor

Postby Joel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 am

I have 3 or 4 in my house. All are APC and I haven't had any problems with them. They also didn't smell. Not like you're describing at least. New plastic smell from being closed up. I bought mine at Circuit City, Staples, Best Buy... wherever is running a sale. When I priced them, you'd pay more in shipping from Amazon than Tax. I'm using them from Computers and TV/Video setups.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE650G1&total_watts=200
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE750G&total_watts=200
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE550G&total_watts=200

Note: the model number coincides with the Volt-amps, not watts.

The newest one is at least 2 years old.

Good Luck!
Joel

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 am

A lot of units will put off a smell when first used. It will soon disappear. The building I manage has an area where the computer folks start up every new unit before it is distributed to someone out on the floor. This eliminates all the "something is burning" calls our maintenance unit used to get when someone had a new computer installed. At times there may be 20-30 units in that room getting "burned in". I don't really care to go in there when they are working.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 am

Being a retired electronics technician I have heard that complaint before, but never to the extreme you describe it. It is most likely The new plastic (probably made in China), but is the possibility of coating burning off components. Many of the circuit boards are sealed to protect from moisture and humidity, and there may be some coating on a larger resister that is burning off. If it is just an odor type problem, it should go away in a day or two. If not I suggest taking it back. I have an old Newpoint brand UPS that is so old I am amazed the battery is still good, but it is.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Bus Driver I gotta tell you I read through your post and for the life of me could not figure out what the HECK you were talking about! I was completely and utterly lost. That is until I read Joel's, Barnyard's, and John's posts. I had no idea what UPS stood for :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thomas

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Uninteruptable Power Supplies (UPS) come in so many different quality categories it is hard to find decent ones. I have only ever recommend APC UPS's to those whose puters I built/repaired/rebuilt/upgraded. Along with an APC Surge Arrest and the best Anti-Virus Maintenance Suites a UPS is a must especially for those who have small home-based businesses. I am beginning to believe that a properly sized UPS may be a serious backup for medical equipment such as a Concentrator (like I have for O2 at night), Insulin Pumps and the like. I would never recommend off-brands but Belkin has become a pretty good player in that market and one that I have recommended on occasion. I have at least a dozen APC SA's and am looking at getting a UPS unit for my server and concentrator.

Oh yeah, I have never noticed any of that new unit burn-off odour with the APC's so it has never been an issue.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

We use APC exclusively at work. I have never noticed a smell from the ones I install. I have pretty much everything from small units for individual PCs, to huge rack-mounted units for servers.

Maybe something is wrong with my smeller! :oops: Never had a user complain, either.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm

tmays wrote:Bus Driver I gotta tell you I read through your post and for the life of me could not figure out what the HECK you were talking about! I was completely and utterly lost. That is until I read Joel's, Barnyard's, and John's posts. I had no idea what UPS stood for :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I first read the subject line, I thought he was having problems with his delivery driver :lol:

Seriously though, I have used APC, Tripplite and Cyberpower and they have all been very good.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Yeah I got caught in the Brown truck thing for a minute too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Dennis wrote:
tmays wrote:Bus Driver I gotta tell you I read through your post and for the life of me could not figure out what the HECK you were talking about! I was completely and utterly lost. That is until I read Joel's, Barnyard's, and John's posts. I had no idea what UPS stood for :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I first read the subject line, I thought he was having problems with his delivery driver :lol:

Seriously though, I have used APC, Tripplite and Cyberpower and they have all been very good.
beaconlight wrote:Yeah I got caught in the Brown truck thing for a minute too.

Whew glad to know I wasn't the only one! :lol: For a minute I thought the driver was really stinking the joint up, but he got to talking about units and plugging them in and I was beginning to think...heck I don't know what I was beginning to think! :lol:
Thomas

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

This is the computer related forum, so I thought that UPS was OK.
I have no idea what the delivery drivers eat. They do not stay long when they are here.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 am

I now have a new UPS unit that had a slight odor for about half a day. I now must get very close to smell anything from it. No complaints from #1 wife.

Joel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27502
Tractors Owned: 1954 super A-1 6-volt

Postby Joel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 pm

glad to hear you got it sorted out! :-)
Joel

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 pm

:{_}: The latest UPS unit generates so little odor that no one notices except me and then it is so slight as to not matter.
As I anticipated, as soon as I got it, the power company has had no more 1 second outages. In fact, no outages at all. Sometimes they would have 3 per day and most of the time 1 per week.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 am

Old Thread. The stinking UPS -- not a person who has been eating musical vegetables- is now working fine. I reasoned that the odor was from a substance that would eventually be depleted or that the unit would self-destruct in time. So I put it in the garage and left it plugged in. After about 6 weeks, the odor was gone. Had bought the unit as used but it looked new. I now suspect ( funny how little I know but how much I suspect) that it was returned under warranty due to the odor and then entered the used device market. It continues to work fine.
Buying used is OK-- most present Cub owners bought them used.

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”