This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

bookkeeping program

How do I.... ?
Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: bookkeeping program

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 pm

John, is the downloading from the bank the only hangup you have? I have used Quicken for 20 years and have never utilized the bank downloading feature (and never will). I'm just not comfortable spreading my bank accounts information around in cyberspace any more than necessary. I have online access to my bank accounts but I manually record all transactions to Quicken. It's "quick" and easy and beats keeping a checkbook register up to date. If it is otherwise working well for you, I think it would meet the original expectations you were looking for. You can use it for multiple accounts including your own. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is mostly just getting used to it. You had to get used to this forum and it's really no different for Quicken. Give it a shot for a couple of weeks. Make up an account and create some transactions and take it for a test drive. You can delete it when you are finished. Good luck :!:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Spent 2 hours on phone a week and a half ago, and they said they were escalating the problem, and asked me not to do anything more till they notified me. I waited and got a notice to update and try again. Still same problem. Owned it slightly over a month now and turned in request for refund. They do not make it easy to find the link for the request. Thanks fellas for all the help. The bank offers the option to download the info to Excell which I will do and add a column for notes.

I was a computer nerd 35 years ago before windows, and kept up with it for several years, even used to write some programs in basic. Over the years I have seen some well written programs and some lousy ones. I also used to maintain the computers at work though it was not my official job. In my opinion this is one of the worse programs I have seen for the average person to deal with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 am

John,
If you have Excel on your PC, using a Pivot table will do more than what you need.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/pivottable-reports-101-HA001034632.aspx

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks Jack, I will look into that. My version of office is pretty old, and I may have to update it to use the Pivot Tables.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I have been using OpenOffice for some spreadsheets etc. It works well and seems to do everything Microsoft Office does. It has Pivot Tables (never tried it). It is a free download. So if you need to upgrade Office, you might consider this option.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Jim, I had tried Open Office a few years ago for the word processor, but when I tried to open a .docx file that had been sent to me I could open it, but not edit it, so I finally deleted Open Office. maybe I need to try again.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 am

I too have Open Office, but haven't used it very much. I've used it for some Excel files, though, and it worked quite well.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Thanks Jim, I had tried Open Office a few years ago for the word processor, but when I tried to open a .docx file that had been sent to me I could open it, but not edit it, so I finally deleted Open Office. maybe I need to try again.

The .docx format is relatively new (and evidently complicated). Microsoft made it the default for Office a half dozen years ago. The more recent versions of Open Office can read .docx files but it may slightly change the formatting of some of the more complex documents. From what I have read, you can modify and save such documents but only in another supported format, not as a new .docx file. I haven't used Open Office for documents. I've only been using the spread sheet part of it and it works OK for what I have been doing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I just downloaded the newest version of Open Office, and it handles them with no problem. My old version of MS Office was 2000, so it was pretty outdated. also did a test download of data from bank in Excel format. I like the way Open Office displayed it.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:32 pm

John, I know this is an older topic, but I wanted to let you know that I've been using this program, GnuCash, for three months now and it keeps impressing me (not to mention it's FREE).

Check it out here: http://www.gnucash.org/

Also, if you like a Quicken type program, Microsoft sunsetted their MS-Money program and you can download the last version for FREE.

Check it out here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20738

Dennis

PS: I use both programs (MS-Money for my checking accounts for years).
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”