This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IDE hard drive question

How do I.... ?
Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

IDE hard drive question

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:33 am

I still have two PC's running XP that may not be upgradable to Windows 7 that have IDE hard drives. I was thinking of maybe "piggy backing"(not portioning) the IDE hard drives in Window 7 PC's with an IDE to SATA jumper. Has anyone done this? If so what jumper did you use?

Thanks in advance

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: IDE hard drive question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:18 am

Have you checked if the main board has connections for the Sata drives so all you could do is add the cable? I am rusty on computers, but I do not think a simple IDE to SATA cable will work, they are two different formats. You might want to consider an external USB drive, you can set your BIOS to boot from USB.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mr E » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:26 pm

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:55 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner stated: Have you checked if the main board has connections for the Sata drives so all you could do is add the cable?

Yes the Windows 7 PC’s have two bays open with SATA leds.

The BIOS will be set to boot off the Windows 7 Sata hard drive. If the IDE drive will work in the Sata PC It should work like a USB drive after boot up. I think for the price of the adapter, I’ll give it a try. I have two 500 gigabytes hard drives of programs and spreadsheets that are use every day that will have to be transferred to another hard drive if I can’t upgrade to 7 in the XP PC’s.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Jack, check your mother board on your Win7 PC. A lot (most) of the mother boards have the old legacy IDE connectors on them, as well as a floppy drive connector (no IDE->SATA conversion required.
Attachments
ide.jpg
They will look like this and you can use your old connector. You may need a conversion power cable (cheap).
ide.jpg (8.65 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Dennis,
Thank you sir: :thanx: I opened up the Widows 7 PC and it’s just like you said. :{_}: In fact it has a label on the mother board stating what it’s for. I also found a wire harness/connector (label IDE) which appears to be a power supply for the IDE drive. (I’ll make sure before I plug the HD in.)

Thank you all for the help. - Jack

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

Jack:

If it is a Molex connector like this one :

That is the one you need.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:21 am

Thanks Rudi, It’s good to see you back!!!! :{_}:

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks everyone for the help,
One of the two PC’s was 7 upgradable. I put the IDE hard drive in like Dennis said and it works perfect. The only problem I can see, not a big thing is I can’t open outlook up on the old IDE drive. I’m trying to find the .pst files in the MS office program, but can’t. All the very important e-mails went to a back up sever, but if I have to reference something I didn’t back up, I guess I’ll have to hook the IDE drive up to the primary connector until I find the .pst files.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Jack,

Try this:

Open a DOS window and type: dir \*.pst /s

This will search for all files with the .pst extension. Note where they are located and use Windows Explorer to copy them to your Win7 PC. Normally, Win7 stores them in \users\username\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\

Note, if you try to open them from the old drive, most likely windows security will not allow you to write to the files without changing permissions.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 am

Dennis I found the .pst files on the old IDE drive by doing what you said, but I can’t open them. Can I change permission when I’m using the old IDE as a secondary drive?
What I was hoping, that I could reference my Outlook in the old IDE if I needed to by going into the secondary drive at anytime.
Hope I’m making sense….

Update....

Dennis,
I finally got access to the secondary drive .pst files. When I tried to open the Outlook PST or the archive PST file with what programs I have I my PC it states the files are too large for the program to open. (File size is kilobytes)
Sorry to keep bugging you with this…. I’m probably trying to do something that’s not possible.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Jack, you will want to open the old pst file with outlook. Open outlook, go to file, open, outlook data file.

I would suggest that you move or make a copy of the old pst file on your new drive as a backup. An old IDE drive will surely fail some day when you least expect it.

Dennis
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Dennis,

I’m following your advice and getting my old e-mail off the IDE drive. I tried to import the files from the old Outlook and (like you said) I wasn’t the administrator on the old PC and they couldn’t be move. So I put the IDE drive back into the old PC set up the import and export wizard in Outlook and exported the .pst files to a flash drive. Then I opened Outlook in the Windows 7 PC and imported,from the flash drive through the import and Export wizard to Outlook….. All the e-mails are now on the SATA drive and I put them in my Inbox; not as a backup. Hopefully this makes sense and I did it correct. (See picture)

Next I’ll do the address book and so on.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:47 pm

You did good, Jack. Congratulations!
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks Dennis, that’s an honor hearing that from you! :{_}:

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”