This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loss of Windows XP support

How do I.... ?
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Loss of Windows XP support

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

Just got notice that Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP in a couple of months. I have it on both my home computer and laptop, both of which still function fine. How great is the risk if I don't update to Windows 8 or 8.1? If I do, I probably have to buy new computers. The laptop is mainly for travel and has very little on it. We do use the home computer for online banking, etc. where security is needed. I've thought about switching to Apple, but my wife isn't too keen on the idea at this point.

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Loss of Windows XP support

Postby indy61 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Here's 'a little' info that might help.

http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/vie ... rcg3rRs_TI

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Bob, if you DO decide to upgrade, I'd personally suggest not going to Windows 8 but Windows 7. I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree and say Windows 8 is great, but there are a lot a flaws with it and security issues. We aren't installing it on any of the systems at WP, as the DOD is not comfortable with it at all, and when I got 2 new systems last year I scraped the installed version of Windows 8 off and did fresh install of Windows 7 on both systems. If you do a little googling, you can still find an OEM Windows 7 OS disk out there on several websites you can purchase that come with the Product key code and are legitimate software disks, normally for less than $50. You may also run into issues with your hardware not being compatible with the latest version as well.

Just my opinion on the OS though....
Mike Duncan

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 pm

We're an all Apple household for about three years now. We are pleased. I have had my issues with Apple but they pale in comparison to the issues I've had with Windows products. I won't be going back
Thomas

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:56 pm

i also switched to apple, still learning it.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Bob,
I still use a Windows 7 computer but the rest of my stuff is Apple (laptop, iPad & iPhone). I enjoy the Apple stuff and it is my primary computers. I use the Windows machine for banking and most of my photo editing. I should say the MacBook Pro does a great job with photos as well.

The Apple stuff is good albeit a bit pricy.

Blame my switch on Raymond. :mrgreen:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am

Bob,

The first thing I would do is run this program to see if your PC can run Windows 7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

If you pass the program test you can buy an upgrade program from Microsoft from XP to 7. You can’t upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 unless you have a 64 bit processor. One other thing I found out, it’s a whole lot better to have the minimum Ram of one gigabit to make the system work like it did with XP.

I liked XP also….but I’m old and don’t like change. The newer 64 bit PC’s really run fast….but I’m not in a big hurry anyway.
I don’t know much about Apple, except what I hear and that’s positive. I use Microsoft because of the Office package that I almost wear out everyday….Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It was a little hard to understand a first, but after using the Office program for me it’s great. To communicate with the business world, it’s a must.

If Dennis could “chime in” with this…..he really help me with an issue I had….Hope this helped.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Bob:

Risk .... :?: Well put it this way ... I am still running Win3.11, Win 95 OSR-1 and OSR-2, Win98 OSR-1 & 2 as well as XP and Vista. What is critical is to download and archive on disc all of the service packs and patches for XP. If you have that, then there is very little that can go wrong with XP as it is probably the most stable platform Microsoft ever built. After all, XP is the root for Vista, Win 7 and 8 progressions.

Why am I running all these old OS`s ... simple. I have programs that simply will not run on anything else but what they were written for and there is far too much data to lose. Plus .. they still run really good. Can you imagine .. an 486 DX-2/50mhz running on 32 megs of 72pin FPM ram :?: Scoots like all get out. No, can't run the graphics that I can with XP or VIsta .. but don't need to.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

After looking at my options and talking to the Geek Squad, I've decided to keep going with XP until I have hardware problems. All the new stuff is loaded with 8.1 which I don't think I want, and it would be a hassle to deal with installing 7 at this point. Safety doesn't seem to be an issue unless I do something stupid (like opening an attachment from Nigeria). Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 am

Rudi wrote: I am still running Win3.11, Win 95 OSR-1 and OSR-2, Win98 OSR-1 & 2...

Wow…..I never knew it still could be done

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 am

Bob McCarty wrote:All the new stuff is loaded with 8.1 which I don't think I want,Bob

You can still get new computers loaded with Win 7. I had no problems going from XP to 7 and like it even better. This is only one example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883155690

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am

I was referring to Best Buy when I said everything was loaded with 8.1. Actually, that price looks awfully enticing.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 am

Bob, I you ever get south of Denver you may want to check out the Microcenter. I buy most of my stuff from them at their Cincinnati store.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4220 ... p_Computer
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”