This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Windows scam

How do I.... ?
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Windows scam

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 pm

I had received a couple of emails about a scam in which you receive a phone call claiming your computer was causing problems and they wanted you to provide them access so they could fix it. I got one today. the caller was very difficult to understand, the accent I believe may have been Africa, possibly Nigerian (placing people by accents used to be a hobby). The conversation started with the caller asking if i was the main user of windows on my computer, and continuing to My computer is causing problems, at which point I told him that scam was known and hung up. Sometimes if you are having computer problems or problems with a peripheral you need to grant access for on line help, but in this instance they are wanting to plant a virus and/or spyware.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Windows scam

Postby Barnyard » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Melissa stayed at our house while we were at DSCF. She called me one day while we were gone and said some one called and said there was a problem with Windows on my computer and she was to press 1 for further assistance. She said she hung up.

Yes, all different types of scams are out there and they either lead to a hacked computer or some type of outrageous credit card charge. It's a shame there are so many people out there with no real computer skills who fall for these.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Windows scam

Postby Donegal Cub » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi John,
Your voice / accent skills, I would venture to say are probably 100% correct.
Nigeria is a well known base for all sorts of fraudulent scams, from winning prizes, to banking, to phone, credit card, and computer hacking scams for relieving people of their hard-earned cash. So be constantly on guard.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”