This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A New Dog House

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

A New Dog House

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:32 am

About three years ago a friend of our's and her sisters decided to tear down their old house and build a new, more modern one. Carol told me that I could have anything I wanted from the house as long as I got it before the demo team got to it. I jumped at the opportunity to haul several truck loads of stuff to the barn where it would sit with all the other junk I will probably never use.

The windows were in excellent shape and I figured I could put them to use on my back porch some day. I went to work with a sawsall, pry bar and hammer. after a few hours I had all eight smaller windows and a large bay window loaded on the truck. These sat in the barn until just before Thanksgiving when I finally found time to put them to use.

Our porch had been screened and I wanted to enclose it so the dogs would have a warmer place in the winter. Right now they sleep in the barn guarding the Cubs and they seem pretty content at that. We have tried to get them to stay in the house on cold nights, but they head straight to the barn as soon as they get a chance. With the windows and a doggy door they would have their choice of which to use and when.

Step 1: I started by ripping out all the screens the dogs hadn't already destroyed along with the old framing and measured everything a dozen times to make sure it went right. After another dozen measurements I was on a role.

Step 2: The bay window is a bit taller than the opening between the eave and the brick wall so I got my buddy in the concrete business to drop by with his concrete saw. It didn't take him but ten minutes to make a few cuts where I needed them.

Step 3: I then started framing in the openings for the windows. Some spots required manual labor, but most of the framing was done with my trusty air nailer. Those babies are about as safe as an unguarded buzz saw on the back of a Cub.

Step 4: I test fit a couple windows to make sure things were on track and was happy to see that my basic measuring skills were paying off. Note that a project this size may require plenty of adult beverages. I was prepared for this by placing a cooler at each end of the job site. Warning: Over use of adult beverages may cause additional measurements to be required (see step 1 above).

Step 5: Once I was happy that the windows were fitting as planned I installed the remainder of the smaller ones along with the trim and doors. The bay window will require more people than just me to install. With the holidays, as well as the nasty weather, here that will have to wait. Image

Finale: As soon as we get a little better conditions where I can get to the barn, I will bring the window out and get a few of my buddies to help set it in place, I think the dogs will like it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Re: A New Dog House

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:00 am

Is there anything you CAN'T do :?: That's plumb spiffy :{_}:AND (considering adult beverages) quite remarkable :shock:

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:53 am

excellent job, significant improvement.;

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:18 am

Way to go, Bill! I know you've been wanting to get that job done, it's looking good! I did a few carpentry projects this Fall, primarily door replacements. I did one overhead, two walk in's and two French storm doors. While I wouldn't want to do carpentry as a vocation, I do enjoy the occasional project.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

Looks good, Bill! It's nice to see materials being re-used, instead of going to the landfill.
Last edited by Don McCombs on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:08 am

Looks good, Bill.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 am

Bill:

Very well done :applause: The dogs are really going to love it as will their masters methinks :D It really looks nice and airy

I am a firm believer in Reduce, Reuse and Recycle as well as keeping my pocket book a little above empty.. Recycling does that. Most of the time what is one man's trash is another man's treasure .. and we see that more and more as the message gets out. I could never have done the pole barn project without being able to access used materials for nothing and the same goes for the driveway project. If it wasn't for the fact that recycling is now mandatory when it comes to airports/roadways etc., I would still have tailings as my driveway surface. I am a real fan of recycling.

I guess ifn we think about it... we all are. Having a Cub is really recycling at it's best. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:29 am

At the time the owner had asked if I wanted anything, I was planning to add on to one of the lofts in the barn. I was also wanting to add steps to it and get rid of the old straight up 1x4 ladder that was nailed to the wall. The basement steps in the house being torn down were well built and the exact height as my loft.

Needless to say, I grabbed those pretty quick.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Nice looking stairs Bill. The fit perfectly in the new loft :D The beauty of recycled material :D Hope you continue to be lucky and get enough material to do all the projects that you would like to in BOB.

I always am on the lookout for construction sites. Their cast-offs can often be a great source of material. Same when it comes to demolition projects. My pole barn is almost all insulated now thanks to a demolition project that saw a strip mall torn down to make way for a street alignment project. Their loss = my gain. I like recycling a lot.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Very nice job Bill! Rudi, I'm with you and the 4 R's. Wife just doesn't understand, but I understand why she feels that way. I like to reuse concrete pipe and sidewalks. Some of my favorite toys came from the "transfer station" that the wife calls the Dump! Latest things were a Brinley-Hardy spike aereator and 5 wire display racks. Two of them made a nice 74" tall 6 shelve storage tower in the pantry. Bill if you are ever in the area, I have windows to install in the metal carport. You can have the leftover ones If you help!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Nice job Bill. Are you going to put a bed out there for those nights that you're in the doghouse? :shock:

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:50 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Nice job Bill. Are you going to put a bed out there for those nights that you're in the doghouse? :shock:

Bob

I am hopeful that the dogs will be grateful for what I have done for them and will allow me to share quartes with them when the occassion arises. :lol:

Circle of Safety

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:04 am

Barnyard wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:Nice job Bill. Are you going to put a bed out there for those nights that you're in the doghouse? :shock:

Bob

I am hopeful that the dogs will be grateful for what I have done for them and will allow me to share quartes with them when the occassion arises. :lol:

You need to have enough dogs for those "Three Dog Nights" you will surely encounter :wink:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:19 pm

It was a balmy 31 degrees in the barnyard today so with the help of Rosie, Mel and her boyfriend Nick (I got it right this time) we got the bay window in. I don't know why Rosie wanted that since we don't have a bay to look at, but at least it's in.

A little more caulking, some insulation and inside trim and I can call this one comeplete.

The Christmas lights come down next week.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Bill, A bay window isn't for you to look out at the Bay through, it's for the dogs to bay at the moon. :D

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Projects Forum”