Switch to full style
Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Topic locked

More progess on the rear carrier

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 pm

I've pretty much finished my carrier, with the exception of painting it. I've added a few things as you will see in the pictures. First off, I turned the bolts down so they look like pins instead of bolts, and cut them to the appropriate length. I added 2x10s, drilling the supports to accept 1/4" carriage bolts. The finished width is 40". Image

I put 1/8"thick by 1 1/2" steel around the edges of the wood to protect it, securing it w/ 1 1/4" #12 wood screws. This should make the wood last a long time. I then drilled a number of 1/2" holes to provide attachment points for straps or bungi cords to help secure things I haul.

I thought it might be nice to be able to pull a light trailer, (I just happen to have one) but I didn't want a hitch sticking out the back to wack my shin on. I also didn't want it to be so low that it would be below the angle supports. That would make it difficult to put a pin in, so the solution was a bit unusual, but will work. I drilled a hole through the wood on the carrier and will fabricate a nearly flush headed pin that will go through the wood and pin whatever trailer I choose to pull. I considered welding a cross piece to attach the hitch to, but decided to try an experiment. I used a 3/8" thick bar 1 1/2" wide, drilling and attaching it to all three boards with 7/16" carriage bolts. I think it will hold up, but if it doesn't, I can easily add steel cross members.
My daughter, Spencer, took it on its maiden voyage, going over to my folks house to retrieve a bale of straw... not too much of a test, but she didn't tear it up, so there is that. I then hauled my son Carson and a 193 plow and lever back over to the barn on it and my son drove back hauling ME. (so now I know it will haul 210 lbs and not break!)
When I DO paint it, I'll add that pic. I think I'm going to paint the steel blue and leave the treated wood alone. We'll see how that looks in a few days.
Topic locked