This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

making support rods(last of the pics)

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

making support rods(last of the pics)

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Thought some of you guys would like to see some of the work involved to making the support rods. Both sides are basically the same steps, just different lengths and bends. A couple years ago when my dad was coming over giving me a hand with things, I asked him to build me 3 stands with rollers that would also double as a steel rack. They work great. Here's some of the steel for the supports and the snow shoes.

I start out by setting up a stop on the band saw. That allows for a bunch of pieces cut the exact same length.

The pieces are all sanded to eliminate burrs before they go into the lathe.

Once all the parts are sanded, the lathe gets a workout, beginning with center drilling, to drilling, to tapping

I still use my ELMER 2, a homemade bender thrown together from a bunch of hydraulic parts and pieces from auctions, ebay, flee markets, the neighbors left over hoist extensions, and steel from the local scrap yard.

There's a bunch more pictures scattered on these 2 pages from the photohost: http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=603&page=2

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow after I do some welding.

Thanks for viewing,
Rick
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Re: making support rods

Postby Mr E » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

That is very interesting, Mr. Rick. Wish I was close by, I'd beg you to let me watch the process. :mrgreen:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Hey Rick, where were these pix taken. I don't remember the shop being that clean last time I was there. Did Gary Dotson and David Grapes pay you a shop makeover visit too? :)
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Mr E wrote:That is very interesting, Mr. Rick. Wish I was close by, I'd beg you to let me watch the process. :mrgreen:

Mr. Roy, you're going to have to stand in line. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I don't remember the shop being that clean last time I was there.
I'm not done yet. I'm thinking about painting my pegboard silver and buying some bright red formica for my benchtop :shock:

Thanks guys,
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Sure wish I had that equipment :mrgreen: Do you save the "leavings" and recycle them to the scrap yard? Looks like lots of $$ left on the floor with all the required machining :wink: However, the end product (to me) is worth all that and more :D

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Do you save the "leavings" and recycle them to the scrap yard?
Yep Bill. Any scrap metal, shavings, or even plasma dust, goes into a tub and eventually ends up at M+K Scrapyard. It's a pleasant surprise when you take scrap and walk away with $40-$50 in your pocket :D But right across the street from the scrapyard is Big Buffalo Pawn shop----they always have neat stuff to buy.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:40 am

Rick Prentice wrote:
Do you save the "leavings" and recycle them to the scrap yard?
Yep Bill. Any scrap metal, shavings, or even plasma dust, goes into a tub and eventually ends up at M+K Scrapyard. It's a pleasant surprise when you take scrap and walk away with $40-$50 in your pocket :D But right across the street from the scrapyard is Big Buffalo Pawn shop----they always have neat stuff to buy.

Location, Location, Location :wink:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

Rick Prentice wrote:......... But right across the street from the scrapyard is Big Buffalo Pawn shop----they always have neat stuff to buy.
I envy people that have pawn shops with reasonable prices. The ones around here have worn out stuff priced within just a few dollars of new.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:05 pm

I finished up some more of the braces today. Here's the material I use for the right and left pads. The right side is pretty simple to make, but the left side is a pain. After drilling the 5/8" and the 7/8" holes, the piece gets clamped in the mill and a 3 degree angle gets flycut off the bottom, then a radius has to be ground to mate with the casting by the hyd pump area.

A dummy block hangs off the end of ELMER and allows me to install the pads and the rods in place to assure proper alignment while welding. Here's a left and right pic of the items in place just before welding

Once the pads are welded to the rods,
they're flipped upside down and aslo plug welded from the bottom.

Here's an almost finished set of braces,
They still need to have the flats milled on both sections(used to hold the rods in place while tightening) and then sandblasted and primered.

I ordered some packets of "anti-sieze" today. Once the braces are all painted by the member, they can apply some anti-sieze to all the thread sections in case years down the road they need to remove the braces to do a clutch job or engine R+R. Each order will have an instruction sheet with an anti-sieze packet stapled to it.

Thanks again,
Rick
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Rick,
Forgive my ignorance, but exactly was is "plug welded"? :oops:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Mr E wrote:Rick,
Forgive my ignorance, but exactly was is "plug welded"? :oops:

Roy, notice in Rick's first picture there are flat plates with two holes in them. The rod goes into the larger hole and is welded. The plug weld is when it is welded through the hole on the bottom side.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Yep, Mr. Roy, Barnyard has you covered. I keep the 7/8" rod about an 1/8" from being flush with the backside. That allows me to fill(plug) that cavity full of weld. Something drastic will have to happen for those pads to ever come off :shock:

Rick

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Rick:

Just in case you really need it, I got two sheets of almost IH 2150 Red plastic laminate in the shop :lol:

What amazes me is the similarities in how trades set up for a production run/one off piece. A lot of what you do is the very same as what I do.. the only difference is the medium in which we work primarily. The medium defines some of the specialized skills needed but the basics are allied. The mark of a professional is in the details.. how things are set up to produce a part. Rick my friend, you are a real professional. I like your shop. It may be small (mine is too) yet some top notch products emerge from within the confines of your play room.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 am

I'm very impressed with your little fabrication shop. Your welds look better than most factory weld jobs I have seen.

Those brackets look like they would be a very wise investment.
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

Return to “Projects Forum”