This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

On Building Tractor Shops

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: On Building Tractor Shops

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:30 pm

My dad purchased a metal framed, 24' x 36', 10 foot tall door, sheet metal siding and roofed building. We set the building on a concrete slab. Building was anchored by using long metal rods driven into the soil. Building was used for storage and never finished on the interior. Since the building was considered movable, it was not taxable.

Suggest talking to your tax assessor and discuss taxes on various types of buildings.

I've been looking at having a shop building constructed for several years. Locally there are a number of firms that build a pole barn for a very decent price. Which means that I would have to finish off the interior and pour a floor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Re: On Building Tractor Shops

Postby Bigschuss » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:38 am

I'll just add one thing about the cost....the price might be the same for blocks vs/ metal? But the labor to install blocks will triple the price. Anybody can hang metal panels.

One more thing....what about wood sides? Here in the Northeast many side their pole barns with rough sawn....board and batten, ship-lap, etc. If bought from a small private sawyer, the price is half that of metal...and also easy to install.

Best of luck. I'm just finishing a small 12x16 sugar shack this fall. I built a timber frame and sided it with shiplap and a metal roof.

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Return to “Projects Forum”