This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 2

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 2

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 pm

A couple months ago you may recall that I was taking a welding course at our local community college. It was something I had wanted to do for at least 7 or 8 years I guess and finally got around to it. And I don't like just putzsing around making make do projects.. I like to do something worthwhile which is why I made the bracket in the Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 1 thread. To complete the project I needed to do a few other things. This thread is about the rest of the project and getting the bracket into service.

Since today was Canada's 144th Birthday, I decided to give myself a birthday present of sorts. :lol:

To refresh, this is what the splitter looks like on Ellie's back end :) The box beam opening is where the storage bracket has to fit to make the project work.

The Inside Dimensions are 5-1/4"

1-1/4". Unfortunately the closest U channel I had access too was quite a bit larger at 5" x 1-3/4". This necessitated some layout and cutting to make it fit.

I laid out the required dimensions on the U channel and used my 4-1/2" grinder equipped with a cutting wheel and made the necessary cuts.

Image Image Image

Switch back to a grinding wheel, take off the excess (my cut wasn't the best) and ease all the edges.

And voila :!: It fits :D

Since I still have yet to finish the insulation and ceiling of the pole barn and the scaffolding was still in place, I had to do a major rearrangement in the pole barn to clear the area I need to be able to mount the splitter where I wanted it. An hour after I started it was done. Needed some straightening up anyways and this was a good excuse.

Backed Ellie in to where I figured would be the best place to mount the bracket and started to lay out the location of the mounting holes for the bottom bracket. Leveled out the bracket and got two studs aligned.

Same for the upper bracket. Drilled the holes and mounted them with 5/16" x 3" Lag Bolts. Attached the chain.

Disconnected the hydraulic lines, undid the bolts on the drawbar and took the pin out of the rear rockshaft lift arm.

Image Image

Now when I need the splitter all I gotta do is back up, align, back up some more, put in the bolts and pin, hook up the hydraulics and I am back in business splitting wood. In the meantime, I can do the rest of the things I need to do with Ellie this summer. Hopefully by the time fall rolls around I will have the ceiling done, wiring and new electric panel, sound system and a few other projects done :wink: :{_}: My Cub House is slowly taking shape :D It took the better part of the day, probably about 6 hours to get it all done, but like splitting wood I am not in it for speed but more for enjoyment. This was a nice relaxing day and I was still able to get stuff done even though it rained a fair amount today.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 2

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Nice job Rudi.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 am

Rudi...Nice work. :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 am

Very handy Rudi, really nice to have it set where one man can install and remove. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:33 am

Well done Rudi :{_}: You must have some right stout studs in that wall :wink:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks guys for the nice comments .. they are appreciated. Even on the bracket, that puppy is still pretty heavy :shock:

Bill E Bob wrote:You must have some right stout studs in that wall :wink:

Ahh.. I guess. They are 2"x6" studs 24" OC with 2"x6" 16" OC strapping. New Home For My Cubs
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”