This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need some suggestions on sealing 6x6 rough sawn timbers?

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Need some suggestions on sealing 6x6 rough sawn timbers?

Postby Bigschuss » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 am

You may have seen a few of my threads about the 12x16 timber frame I built in Sept.

On the right side of the building you can see 3 steel hangers that will receive a 6x6 pine beam. That beam will connect to a 6x6 pine post that will itself be anchored to the ground on a 6x6 post base, which you can just barely see at the bottom of he pic.

I need some ideas on how to seal the bottom of this 6x6 pine beam. This side of the shed will have a covered deck sitting over the post bases (and thus the bottom of the beams), so rain won't be a big issue. The spring snowmelt and general damp conditions are what I need to guard against.

I thought about wrapping the bottom in Ice and Water Shield...but figured that would peel off eventually.

Creosote? Foundation sealer? Rhino Bed Liner sealer?

Does anybody have some advice, or a tip on a product that would work?

Thanks in advance.
Blair

Oh, and one other thing. I was on Google Earth this AM, and Google Earth already shows the timber frame in the back yard. Can't decide if this is really neat, or creepy...built it in Sept. and they've aleady got it.

I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need some suggestions on sealing 6x6 rough sawn timbers?

Postby phildidit » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:36 am

EPA wont like it but my grandpa uses used motor oil. Helps with termites too

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 am

I would stop by the local well stocked hardware store and talk to one of the owners. Find out what product(s) they would recommend.

The turned cedar posts on my front porch are held above the decking about 1 1/2" by a spacer. The spacer consists of two metal disks about 3 inches in diameter with a metal post between the disks. Disks are screwed to the post and decking. The spacer keeps moisture from wicking up into the cedar posts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd soak the ends in whatever is available, as a wood preserver, these days. Stand them in a pan of preserver, and let it soak in, for a few days. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Asphalt driveway sealer??

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Blair:

I like Ed's suggestion,

ScottyD'sdad wrote:I'd soak the ends in whatever is available, as a wood preserver, these days. Stand them in a pan of preserver, and let it soak in, for a few days. Ed

however, I would add linseed oil as the preservative instead of chemical concoctions. Woodworkers have known for centuries that linseed oil either natural or boiled will provide a good waterproofing barrier and when beeswax is added it makes it almost impermeable.

Add that to Eugene's suggestion (I have seen them and have a set for my deck posts .. you can get them as levelers as well..

Eugene wrote:The spacer consists of two metal disks about 3 inches in diameter with a metal post between the disks.

Between the physical space barrier that keeps the water off the pine, the linseed will prevent any moisture from wicking into the pine.

Sure is one nice project :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

rogerk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27021
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub

Postby rogerk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 pm

there is a new product called deck wrap that i have seen on some new construction. not that expensive and can be purchased in various widths and lengths might be worth checking out. hasn't been out long enough for me to know how it holds up... but it is designed for what you are doing. here is a link http://www.deckwrap.com/index.htm can be purchased from abc supply if there is one by you. and by the way very nice construction I like your work. :D here is another link for abc. supply to purchase http://abccatalog.com/view_groups.asp?i ... dgroup=657

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks for the tips everybody. Much appreciated. Going to try to get this up in the next few weeks.

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am

I think Rudi has it. I 'painted' a beaver stump with linseed oil years ago and it seems to have worked well. When I got my new chainsaw bear I use deck/bare wood sealer on it (Sherwin Williams was recommended by the artist, but I use Flood). I just slapped some of the sealer on the stump (more than 10 years later) and it was still pretty well 'waterproof', the sealer didn't soak in very much. The bears did drink the sealer up pretty well...

Possibly mix linseed oil with turpentine to make it easier to work??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:56 am

Something to think about is, like others have said, anything that is light weight and oil based will actually penetrate and absorb into the wood, making the wood iteslf protected from the elements from the inside out. Coatings such as paint, tar, LineX, rubberized under coating, etc., only provide a protective barrier on the outside. These will protect the outside of the wood from physical abuse and exterior damage, but WILL NOT prevent the wood from rotting inside. Matter of fact, some of these things may actually hold moisture in the wood and PROMOTE wood deterioration.

Your best bet is what Scotty D's Dad said, stand them in a pot of some oil based sealer (linseed oil, Thompsons Water Seal, even a good oil based deck stain or sealer) let it soak into the wood for a few days then brush on a coating on the outside. The capillary action in the wood will pull the sealer right into it and treat it from the inside out.

Oh, That is an amazing work of art that you're putting together. I really want to build a barn at my place, and want to build it in the timber/frame style, but, I don't think I can do a 24 x 40 barn like the way that you have. Materials alone will kill the project, vs doing a standard pole barn.

Also, the Google Earth thing is definitely CREEPY!!!! However, good news for you. They typically only do fly over updates about once every 3 or 4 years. The only exception to this is major metropolitan areas, or areas with significant growth or something important like a military base or government facility that they may do annually.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:51 am

They don't have your sugar shack yet, but the 'birds eye' view from Bing maps is spooky too. You can rotate it 90 degrees at a time (upper right). Give you a better feel for the land defenses at Ft Adams than a straight down shot.

http://binged.it/uaf45i
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

gitractorman.....thanks for the kind words about my timber frame. And thanks for your advice. I think you nailed it. While something like a plastic coating or a barrier would be absolutely water prof, I wonder if it would propmote rotting from the inside out? I think a good soak in an oil based preservative is a good start.

Also....you'd be surprised how inexpensive rough sawn 7x7 pine beams can be from a quality, small-scale saw mill. If you cut the joints yourself I think a timber frame would be no more expensive than a stick built pole barn. It will take longer, yes. It took me 2 months to cut the joints for my 12x16 in my spare time. The lumber for my frame cost $600.

Buzzard Wing....that Bing view is neat. Looks to be about 2 or 3 years old based on the things I DON'T see in the yard. Thanks for the advice on sealing my beams

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 am

Well....when I cut my 6x6's to length in preparation for the final install, I noticed that they are still a little green. Because of this, I do not want to seal them up with any kind of a permanent coating, tar, plastic, etc.

I bought some BLO and paint thinner last night and now have them sitting in this for a few days.

Thanks for the tips gents. I'll post some pics of the final product when I'm done.

Blair
- Merle Haggard

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am

Creosote, if you can find it and let it soak in.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

What about wrapping with tar paper and seal with roofing cement.

Return to “Projects Forum”