This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need Some Welding Advice for New Project

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need Some Welding Advice for New Project

Postby BIGHOSS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:13 pm

I agree about taking a class. I learned to weld in my vo-ag shop class many years ago. But, I did not use it for about 20 years, so I forgot about all that I had learned. So, when I decided that I wanted to learn welding again, I signed up for a adult evening welding class at a comprehensive high school in Nashville. I went there for the fall and winter semesters.

The first semester I had an instructor that believed in learning it the correct way. We were not allowed to work on any of our projects. We could only weld with a 6011 rod on 1/4x4x6 plate. At the end of the semester, the plate was about 1" thick. We learned to weld in all positions with safety always being the first priority.

We also learned how to use a oxy/actelyne cutting torch.

Take a class if one is available.

Ron
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Blair,
PM sent

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 am

I'm sure that a guy that can learn to build a post & beam barn can also learn to weld! I agree with the others, that if you can find an adult course, take it! I'm basically a self taught welder and although I can lay down a nice bead when conditions are right, learning from a pro will teach you what to do when conditions are less favorable. I suggest you get yourself a welder & start figuring out what to do with it, then when the opportunity to take the course, you'll be ready to learn the correct methods that will make sense.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 pm

I agree with a class if you have the time. I am self taught and right now do not have the time for classes but I am sure it would improve my technique. However, a cultipacker does not seem to be all that hard to weld together. Read and look at some videos and you should be able to do just fine.

I am a fan of stick welding since it is better suited for what I do. MIG wlders are expensive for the size they will weld and are limited when the wind blows. All of my welding is done outside. So I would think about a stick welder first then MIG if needed.

I have both a cutting torch and plasma cutter but do most of my cutting with a HF bandsaw and a 4.5 inch angle grinder spinning a cutoff wheel.

A flat place to work is also important. I always worked on my knees on the ground until 6 months ago I bought a piece of steel and placed on sawhorses for a table. What a difference in comfort!

Eitherway, welding takes some skill and practice but is not out of the range of being a self taught skill.

Return to “Projects Forum”