This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thinking out of the box again

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Thinking out of the box again

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 pm

I been wanting to put larger tires on my jeep tractor. This was my plan to get some 1200 or bigger super swampers or similair tires. The cost for the rims and tires are just out of sight for a machine i don't use that much. Then a light bulb went off in my mind. :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :roll:

I have 4 of the 13.6 x 16 turf tires on the 4.5 IH rims left over from my int154's and they all hold air. I still have enough ice cross links to fab a similiar set of the swedish skidder chains for all fout tires. My only cost will be the wheel adapters from http://www.exccessorie.com I may need 2 sets of adapters/ 2 sets of spacers. With the added height i may need to lower the hitch plate on the jeep or raise the hookup for the 4 way plow. So far it all looks to clear my army 2 1/2 ton mini front bumper.

My mini equlid dump rock body is almost ready to install too on the rear. I may play with this all winter between the snow storms. All for the low cost of $400 for the spacers/adapters?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Thinking out of the box again

Postby beaconlight » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

PICTURES?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 pm

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

I'll post pics of my jeep tractor the way it is now soon my son needs to fix my puter so the new system with the camera works.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Bill, I'd be afraid to attempt your project,for fear of breaking an axle, or drive shaft. A certain amount of wheel slippage is a "safety net", for the drive train. Your Jeep owners manual probably states not to run it in 4WD, on dry pavement, for this reason. Hate to see you spend time and money, on the project, only to break it. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Ed; I understand but you maybe right. I only use it for plowing snow and dirt very lightly. The 154 does doa lot of my work. The adapters are going to be expensive. They will move the rear tires out farther. I may use a thinner spacer on the rear to avoid the pressure. But i still need to look at the forces involved too before i move on it. For looks and a toy it would look neat. I do need to lighten up my dump rock body though.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

BTW; My jeep tractor is for off-road only. I plow my driveway every winter and some dirt during the summer. The wheel adapters are under $400 to adapt the 13.6x16 int154 turf tires to my jeep tractor. I did notice on my int154 with my duo cross ice link tire chains that some wheel slippage is possible if i push it. So the traction isn't so strained on the tractor. Plus i plow n a low rpm anyway. It will probably end up at my camp in VT for plowing snow.

This is where the 4x4 truck guys get into trouble with front end and axle breakage they will push the truck plowing with the front end working the hardest. Mainly because they don't have any weight in the rear to load the rear tires for traction. The rear tires are just along for the ride.

My jeep tractor has no body so i have no heat. I put on my hunting gear to test it out too and enjoy it when my juices get flowing as i warm up. By the time i'm all dressed up and on the jeep tractor or int154 plowing i hate to come in the house when i'm done. So i will run it a little more to charge up the battery.

When i tried the ladder chains on my int154 all it did was to spin tires with no success in plowing snow. Anytime the nose of the tractor was slanted down hill it had a hard time backing up. Thats with one set of rear wheel weights too with the laddeer chains. My duo cross ice link chains solved the wheel spinning / traction problem. So its less wear on the tractor. I hope to have the same success with my jeep tractor too.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:07 pm

I purchased all the adapters and wheel spacers to go from the 5lug 5.5" jeep bolt pattern to the 5lug 4.5" farmall pattern. Now i'm thinking about going with 8 of the 8.3x24 ag tires on my jeep tractor???? I need the custom floating axles for the rear that uses a set of front spindles/hubs too. I just want one toy to play with.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Update;

I found out in the last blizzard my jeep tractor needs more ground clearance plus more weight on the rear axle too. I had more wheel spin but she still pushed the snow. More weight less wheel spin.

I have all the adapters and spacers plus i just recieved 4 fcub rim centers so i can mount four 8,3x24 AG tires on my jeep tractor.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 pm

ricky racer wrote:Image

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”