This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water Damage Project w/Pix

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.
Circle of Safety: Y

Water Damage Project w/Pix

Postby PVF1799 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm

About 18 months ago our kitchen suffered severe water damage from a slow leak (23gpd), behind the refrigerator. It ran for months under the tile till it was discovered. That repair is done. Tonight we found that a copper elbow in the ceiling of a closet near the bathroom at the other end of the house has destroyed 3 walls, the bathroom floor, hall floor and the ceiling. How does a copper sweat elbow develop a leak after 28 years? Never, ever seen that happen before.

Guess I won't be working on the Cub. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Darn it.

IMG_2132.JPG
Fun Project
IMG_2132.JPG (168.17 KiB) Viewed 873 times

IMG_2135.JPG
More Fun
IMG_2135.JPG (169.95 KiB) Viewed 873 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Re: Water Damage Project w/Pix

Postby Steve Butram » Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 pm

In my past experience I found that copper erodes from the inside out from the sewer gasses and the liquids that pass through them. Doubt you will have that problem with plastic that you replace it with. I feel for you plumbing leaks can cause a lot of damage when the go undiscovered for a long period of time. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Thankful for a mostly full basement. Makes it easier to spot problems. Still have leaks with the newest technology. Once found water spraying on subfloor from crack in water line. Recently a slow leak filled up a plastic storage bin with two piece folding lid. Ruined contents. No plumbing is foolproof, worse if you don't have a competent plumber. Hate it when you have to tell a tradesman how to do a job correctly .
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 pm

When I built my house back in '87 the only thing that I did not do was the electrical and the propane install. I wrote the exam for the Dept of Labour proving I knew what I was doing and that I could plumb my house. Skilled/licensed tradesmen can challenge the exam for other trades to do their own work ..... so I plumbed my own house. Copper hot and cold supply and ABS waste and vents. That was what .. 26 years ago? When I ordered the stock I ordered L and I got M. Oh well... anyways, during our last project where we had to redo the upstairs bathroom (toilet cracked, rotted floor, filled the ceiling with water (yes -- the ceiling was vapour barriered as the upstairs wasn't finished right away in 87. Thank God for the vapour barrier = it kept the water away from the drywall. Anyways, we ended up checking all the copper supply lines - after 25 years - almost 26 years the type M was starting to degrade. The copper began to oxidize and you could see that there were pinholes delveloping in the pipes. So I have been replacing the pipes with Type L pipe - man that stuff has gotten expensive.

A lot of plumbers up here are moving to PEX. I had one do an install for my back wall spigot with a ball valve. He used PEX. When Leo and I redid the piping, that PEX was the first thing that came out. I will not have it in my house ever. Just as expensive as copper but I don't like it nor do I trust it. Type L will outlast me and probably my kids. Be good for a very long time.

Oh yeah, when the Dept of Labour inspector came to inspect the job he said it was done better than most plumbers he knew. :{_}: It was my house and I made well over 3-400 joints with all the different runs. I only had one joint that I had to redo. It still hasn't leaked yet :D I was pretty proud of that job. I still do the majority of my plumbing .. and I did all the plumbing on my residential instals.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 am

Last night the leak was stopped - Rudi - close your eyes - I used a Shark Bite Elbow....

When we did our kitchen over I used PEX and quite honestly I'll never use anything but PEX again. As with all things like Ford's and Chevy's the rift between PEX and Copper will rage on. I suspect back in the day - the same fight existed between Copper and Black Iron and then Galvanized.

Ok Rudi - you can open your eyes again :) The leak was caused by an almost invisibly sized pinhole in the elbow.

Wish you all a great day - Ken

Return to “Projects Forum”