[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4493: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
Farmall Cub • View topic - Dutch Barn Restoration Project at Pleasant View Farm

Dutch Barn Restoration Project at Pleasant View Farm

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

We now have our small sticks and beams to restore the 160+ Year Old Dutch Barn at our farm. With our son being a traditional timber framer - this will be a fun project. BTW - the one beam is 33' 8x10 Hemlock
IMG_2624 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2626 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2628 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2629 (800x600).jpg

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PVF1799 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Pick up Sticks - Pleasant View Farm Style

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm

you guys got your work cut out for you. tell dad to shoot you guys some refreshments instead of the bird :D while your working lol
post more pics of the project

Re: Dutch Barn Restoration Project at Pleasant View Farm

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Here are four views of the Barn - Before Restoration work began today. This barn was moved to the present site about 165 years ago. We did the East side over about 8 years ago with new sills and siding.

IMG_2643 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2646 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2648 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2645 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm

There are parts if this barn that have to be raised more than 9 inches. Today we got the North sill level and we've been jacking at 8-10 different points on the perimeter and under the barn. The West and South sills will be totally replaced. All the siding will be replaced on 3 sides.

IMG_2650 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2651 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2653 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2656 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2659 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2665 (800x600).jpg

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow! You are not afraid to jump into a project with both feet are you! Love old barns, looking forward to the finished photos!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 am

Wanted to share this Then and Now Photo.

Barn - Then and Now.jpg

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 am

Too much fun. Call Norm and the guys at this old house and get on the air!! Steve

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Just curious what makes it a 'Dutch' barn.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Just curious what makes it a 'Dutch' barn.

The structure style was brought to the US by the Dutch. It's nearly square, with 2 "H" Bents (main timber frame supports that look like H's) that pretty much the whole rest of the barn is supported by. There would typically be a drive through center, hay mow on oneside or in a loft, with two animal bays in the two south facing corners. In the two south facing corners would be two animal doors. Dad and my son Tim could give a much more graphic and detailed description.

Our other two barns are English and German - when you get over here someday - it's pretty interesting to see the structural differences.

Ken

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:24 am

PVF1799 wrote:
Buzzard Wing wrote:Just curious what makes it a 'Dutch' barn.

The structure style was brought to the US by the Dutch. It's nearly square, with 2 "H" Bents (main timber frame supports that look like H's) that pretty much the whole rest of the barn is supported by. There would typically be a drive through center, hay mow on oneside or in a loft, with two animal bays in the two south facing corners. In the two south facing corners would be two animal doors. Dad and my son Tim could give a much more graphic and detailed description.

Our other two barns are English and German - when you get over here someday - it's pretty interesting to see the structural differences.

Ken

That's a great project Ken! Love the craft myself. I built a 24x16 timber frame 2 years ago. I'm a high school teacher and I thought that offering a Timber Framing 101 course at my school would be a neat class. I wrote up a grant last year and received $6K to get the class off the ground. I am going to offer it for the first time as a half year elective starting in January.

That's a HUGE piece of hemlock! Is is hand-hewn? They refer to hemlock in the timber framing world as "hem-rock" for the tendency of the knots to chip chisels.

Blair

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 am

Blair, the timbers are not hand hewn for the replacement wood. They are cut on a band mill. This restoration is really be lead by my son Tim - under his business Pleasant View Restorations. He goes all over the country repairing and moving barns of all shapes and sizes. He just finished a 5 week project in Martha's Vineyard where the wedding for one of the hosts for Saturday Night Live had his wedding this past weekend.

I'll keep posting pictures as we go along. That's a nice barn you put up there....If you PM your email address - I can share photos of the German Barn we built at the farm in 2007-08.

Thanks for posting, Ken

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Had a chance today to get the building up a few more inches, in certain places. There are still places that have to be raised more than 9 inches. We placed the 32 foot long 8x10 hemlock beam in position today. This sill has been gone pretty much my whole life in spots - now only 10' of the original 42' is salvageable.

IMG_2710 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2714 (600x800).jpg

West Timber (800x450).jpg

West Sill 2 (800x450).jpg

IMG_2716 (800x600).jpg

We had a little stone in the way - which would have been the original corner stone. Over the years the frost slowly moved it almost 24 inches from where it belongs. It will go back into place and once again hold the corner of this barn. Today it was in the way - so time moved it the easy way.

Ken

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:15 am

Nothing better than seeing a barn being saved. Too many have been lost. Nice job<I really enjoy the pictures.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:27 pm

The winter weather abated a little today. It was great to make some progress on the Dutch Barn. We've been slowly jacking and raising the old timbers up to the correct level. The NE and SW corners and sill are where they belong. We've got a few spots under main timbers that still need to come-up between 4-6 inches. Today it was pull the original flooring which is pinned down with square wooden pegs every 4th row, with 5" square nails at the ends. The planks are all splined together.

Here's a few shots of the destruction, so we can start internal repairs.
IMG_3100 (800x600).jpg

You can see in this photo that at some point this main floor support timber snapped.
IMG_3101 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3103 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3106 (800x600).jpg

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Good to see you posting again. Must be all caught up with the honey dew list. We'll be home in a couple of weeks and I'll give you a call.