Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Moderator: Team Cub
Sunday Update on Monday. Why the update on Monday - I was too exhausted from Sunday to post until now.
As our son Tim (A Timber Framer by Trade) got deeper into our barn - more and more issues were discovered. On Sunday we found that the North and South sills have actually shifted to the North on the East Side by 5-6 inches in the last 170 years. Today the process of moving those 42' beams back to the correct location begins - oh by the way the entire barn will be attached during the move. This weekend we removed the entire floor structure including the frame so we can do all the inside repair work, place the new 42 foot sill under the South side, Replace 2/3's of the West sill and move the east sill to the North. Once this is done the repair work can start on the sills and the inside.
Here's a few pictures from Sunday
I should mention that on Sunday we also moved the South sill to the North by about 4 inches. We're now ready to remove the old South sill and place a new one underneath the gable-end wall posts and support columns. A great project. Now onto my day job so I can get some rest!
Looks like ya'll are doing it right. Keep up the good work!
My 1945 Farmall H makeover
I have only a vague clue what that means but I enjoy reading your updates and looking at the pictures so I'll just shake my head in aknowledgement, utter an "uhh hunh" and wish you good luck and wait for the next update
Thanks for the postings , I find this project very interesting. Where I live was settled by a large number of Germans and the different types of construction has always been interesting to me. In house construction it is very easy to see the variables used by Dutch , Irish,and German craftsmen especially in placement and designs of chimneys .
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !
I am really caught up in this project. Please post picture updatdes as often as you can. Thanks.
Hi everyone winter returned here with a vengeance. Sending this little update no pix sorry.
1. Tim moved the East side of the South Sill about 7 inches to the North. This re-positioned the South wall posts allowing the girt to close-up with the South H Bent. Stress over the years actually ripped that girt right off the wooden peg.
2. The lumber yard has the order for all the flooring and beams that need replacing.
3. Next Steps - Wait for wood delivery, frost out of the ground - it's deep here this year, remove the East Side Siding, Move the East Sill to the North, Move the North Sill and Wall to the North, replace the South Sill, Join the South and North Sills to the East Sill, Finish and Install the West Sill - the list goes on and on.
I'll try to get some pix this weekend of what I am referring to.
Keep posting Pics, great job! I enjoy the progress your making.
Keep the pictures and updates coming, I am enjoying watching things unfold!
Yesterday we picked up another 24,000 pounds of rough-cut lumber. Tim set about making this joint for one of the main support columns. It's called a Stork Bill Joint. It will get assembled under the barn and then pinned together with Oak Wooden Pins.
Last edited by PVF1799 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cool joint. Never saw one of those. Looks simple but very strong.
What are the measurements from end of beam to end of a led cut?
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein
Deep South CubFest
February 13 & 14, 2015
Massive project, you are lucky to have machinery to do the heavy work.
Great pics and info on what is going on. Thanks for sharing Ken
Hi Mr. E. The joint itself is 20 inches in length. This joint will sit on a pier supporting the main bent of the Dutch barn. The jointed beam is an 8x10 24 feet in length.
Last edited by PVF1799 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun with Flooring.
We stacked all of this today. The siding in the photos was stacked during the last round of lumber pick-ups. The flooring is 2x12x12 and 2x12x14 - this provided a pretty good workout today.
Ken, I worked in a lumber yard for 21 years. That's a LOT of lumber and a LOT of work. You're definitely committed to this project and I give you a lot of credit for taking on such a big job. Barns are disappearing all over and it's great to see someone preserving history.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.
I guess the way the lumber is stacked, you won't have to worry about it getting enough air to help dry it. Looking good.
David Dee Mock-Leonard
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests