This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Beefin' up BOB!

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Beefin' up BOB!

Postby Barnyard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Several of the beams in BOB's floor have rotted and I have been wanting to get them replaced for quite awhile. I went to the mill over a year ago and picked up an oak 8"x8" 16' long to replace the worse beam first. Unfortunately my barn crew buddies were busy with projects and work of their own. Last week we all agreed this was the day to do it.

We started off by removing the siding on both sides of the post at the nail line to give us room to work.

Once the siding was off we got a good look at the damage. The post had not only dropped 4" but had also kicked out about 3 1/2".
This made a very noticeable drop in the roof line.

We then removed the floor, or what was left of it, in that spot,

Once the floor was removed the beam pretty much fell off the footer.

We tied the post off with ratchet straps to hold it in place and bolted oak planks to the two posts to tie them together.
Then we placed jacks under the planks to raise the posts high enough to get the new beam under it.

One we had it up in the air it was time to lift the beam in place. We also tightened the straps to bring
the post in the three inches it had kicked out. Unfortunately we could only move it in about two inches.
However it was plumb and the one inch over hang would not hurt anything other than appearance.

Once the beam was set it was anchored to the footer with 3/4" rebar to keep it in place. Since the footer
was wide enough we also placed a 3"x8" piece of oak under the inside post to shore it up.

Once the post was where we were happy with it we tied it into the new beam with 1/8" thick brackets and lag screws.

This winter I will order a couple more beams to repair some of the other areas. We prefer working on this stuff when the weather is cooler and a couple of the guys are layed off for the winter so my guess is the next beam replacement is about a year away.

Meanwhile, I have two loads of siding in BOB waiting to be nailed up.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Re: Beefin' up BOB!

Postby twotone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Another old Barn saved. I love it!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Were the original beams oak? The reason I am asking is that oak is practically rot proof, or at least it lasts a long long time. It looks like there are quite a number of them need replacing. Lots of heavy thirsty :beer: work.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:It looks like there are quite a number of them need replacing.

Bernard, There are many areas in the Big Old Barn that need floor joist replacement. I wanted to get the beams first to keep the old boy standing. I have been working on some of the worse parts of the siding but I do want to get to the bad areas of the floor.

Here is a project we took on several years ago getting the new roof on.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:11 am

Nice job. Great to have friends available.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Return to “Projects Forum”