This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer Flooring Question(s)

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30268

Trailer Flooring Question(s)

Postby GAGoober » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 am

I have two equipment trailers that need new flooring. Gonna do the smaller one first. I know oak is the best way to go but I don't know which is the best, white or red. So does anyone out there have any experience in this ? I can get either one but I want the one that will gives me the best bang for my buck.

Also, does any one have any suggestions on how to treat the wood before or after installation or what type of fastners work best. I had planned on using carriage bolts.

Thanks

Goober

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trailer Flooring Question(s)

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 am

White oak is just slightly harder than red but not much to matter for your floor. Is this going to be rough cut with no paint? If no paint, I would just treat it with Thompson's water seal or something equal. I would use carriage bolts.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:19 am

I replace the flooring/deck of my 18 foot tandem axled trailer with pressure treated pine. Cheaper than oak.

The small 2 wheeled trailer, I covered the floor with old oak boards found in the hog barn. I brushed on waste engine oil on the decking.
I have an excuse. CRS.

GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GAGoober » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Yep, I'm sure that the plywood is cheaper. I carry my bobcat on it so for me I'm looking at the rough sawn timber. My price so far for white oak is $462.00. The trailer is 18 feet long. Not sure how wide but it is a standard wideth. It has pine on it now and its so far gone that I'm afraid to walk on it.

Thanks for the responses.

Goober

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm

I suggest using galvanized carriage bolts when you bolt the boards down.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Secesh
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20119
Tractors Owned: Fords & NH: '50 8N, '51 8N, '57 860, '68 3000D, '78 4600, '96 5030, '97 5640, '94 6640, '99 TS100, and '50 Farmall Cub
Case 455, AC Gleaner F

Postby Secesh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 pm

White Oak has a waterproof grain structure, it will deteriorate in the weather, but does so from the outside in. Whiskey barrels were made from white oak. Red Oak is naturally porous and will season much faster and soak up paint or preservatives. However, if left exposed to the elements it rots through and through.
The places where the most deterioration will occur will be those that dry out slowest, such as where boards are fastened to one another or to a frame member.
A white oak hay wagon floor, untreated, will hold up well for many years provided the lumber was sound to begin with. We easily get a decade out of one.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 am

GAGoober wrote:Yep, I'm sure that the plywood is cheaper. I carry my bobcat on it so for me I'm looking at the rough sawn timber. My price so far for white oak is $462.00. The trailer is 18 feet long. Not sure how wide but it is a standard wideth. It has pine on it now and its so far gone that I'm afraid to walk on it.

Goober

Who said anything about plywood? :shock: I don't think anyone would recommend that for an equipment trailer.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 am

Here in TN oak is pretty easy to get at a fairly good price. That being said, I still prefer 2X treated pine. The wider the plank the better. I try to get the width that matches the width of my trailer.

Galvanized carriage bolts are the way to go. Drill the hole through wood and steel, drive in bolt to lock in head and reach under and install the nut. You only have to get under the trailer to fasten the last board. I have tried the countersunk head bolts that are self drilling. Too expensive and too hard to install, because you still have to drill through the steel before driving the "self drilling self tapping" bolts.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:57 am

Denny Clayton wrote:
GAGoober wrote:Yep, I'm sure that the plywood is cheaper. I carry my bobcat on it so for me I'm looking at the rough sawn timber. My price so far for white oak is $462.00. The trailer is 18 feet long. Not sure how wide but it is a standard wideth. It has pine on it now and its so far gone that I'm afraid to walk on it.

Goober

Who said anything about plywood? :shock: I don't think anyone would recommend that for an equipment trailer.

Made me wonder too.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Flooring on my 18 foot trailer is held in place with channel at the front and rear of the trailer.

Old flooring removal was simple, saws all.

To install new flooring I cut the lip of the rear channel, about 1 1/2 of the floor boards width. Bent the top of the lip back. Installed the decking, then beat the lip back in place.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Don't forget, the new lumber, even though it is supposedly cured will still be pretty green, and will shrink with time. In about 1 or 2 years time you will have room for another 3 inch plank, but the existing boards will be crooked unless you keep putting in spacers to keep them straight as they cure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

GAGoober
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GAGoober » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm

:oops: Well apparently I can't read and am duly embarrased about the plywood comment. I completely goofed here after reading the recommendation about using pine for the floor. Not much gets by here on this forum.

Ga"GAG-Choke"Goober

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 pm

My second to the white oak comments. White oak has more rot resistance than most untreated pine. Red oak rots faster than does most pine. So the difference is rather dramatic. Surface treatments for preserving wood are not very effective-- but are a little better than nothing. Now absolutely unavailable to do-it-yourselfers is pentachlorophenol which was probably the best brush-on type available.
Luck favors those who are prepared

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Great thread! I'm about to tackle this project myself. I love this forum.

Clint

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Postby AllanD » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:17 am

White oak is the best option but could be quite expensive. Oak boards are surprisingly strong. Where I usually buy my hardwoods sell 8/4 kiln dried white oak for $4.90 a board foot so a two by six would run you about five dollars a foot. You might find a local sawyer that could sell you some air dried white oak cheaper. There are several companies that make portable sawmills and can provide you contact info on a sawmill owner in your area. One such is Woodmizer:
http://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

If you get green wood the general rule of thumb for air drying is a year per inch of thickness so you would need to stack and sticker it for 2 years then would probably need to correct bowing and crooks to make it fit well. If you tried to put it on the trailer green you would get a lot of shrinkage. On the other hand Lowes has 2 by 6 pressure treated pine for $11 for a whole 16 ft. board. It will shrink some too when it dries.

Return to “Projects Forum”