This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub hauler?

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

New Cub hauler?

Postby WaMoo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:00 pm

IMG_2091.jpeg

A new Cub hauler? So here's the story,

It's a 1971 Kenworth K121 cabover with a Cummins V903 in it. It allegedly was purchased new by a freight outfit in the midwest, but was sold to a central-Washington milk hauler soon after. My family, who were also milk haulers, bought them out in the late-1970's, and subsequently acquired this tractor as part of the deal. My family ran this tractor for a long time, mostly hauling milk from eastern-Washington to Portland, OR. Eventually, my dad bought it from the family company and it became his personal truck he used for odd side jobs. While I was young at the time, I do have vague memories of this tractor. My dad sold it in about 1988.

Fast-forward 27 years...

Last November I'm sitting on the couch watching a little documentary on the May 18th, 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens. They show this black and white photo of a car in the ditch with a canoe on top, covered in ash. In the background, there is a milk truck going by. I turn to my wife and exclaim, that's 12! Of course, she had no idea what I was talking about. I explained to her that "12" was the aforementioned 1971 Kenworth K121 my family had.

I also called my dad and uncle to tell them what I found online. They both thought it was really neat, but then my uncle told me he knew where that tractor was. Evidently, it had been bought and sold three different times since my dad got rid of it, and was still being used up until three years ago. My uncle helped me get in touch with the owner, and before I knew it, 12 had been sold again... To me!

Now, in all fairness, my wife and I have been looking for a bigger truck to use as a farm truck, but we never considered anything this big! That said, I'll get it fixed up, and then pair it with a gooseneck trailer. That should make a very versatile farm truck indeed!

If you're interested, here's a link to the documentary. It's very interesting in its own right, but you can spot "12" at 2:55
http://www.spokesman.com/video/2015/may ... came-town/
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: New Cub hauler?

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:04 pm

What a cool story! Glad you got it back! Find yourself a nice gooseneck and you'll be able to haul anything you want!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Well, I finally got my truck up to the farm. We spent the summer just doing basic maintenance on it down in Spokane, then had it trucked up here. Drove it on the farm under her own power!

See pics and video on my blog at: https://bluecreekdairy.wordpress.com/20 ... 2-part-ii/
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 pm

That's a great story! How many miles does it show?
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Chipmaker wrote:How many miles does it show?

27,615. That said, the odometer is broke, and my dad seems to recall it was broke when he got it. So really, it's unknown, but after my dad sold it in about 1988 it saw very few miles. It was only used to move trailers around a yard after that.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Return to “Projects Forum”