This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TX Canton Cubfest

The new home for CubFest and Tractor show Announcements & Discussions.
Forum rules
ALL CubFest discussion posted in other forums will be moved to this forum without advance notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: CubFest organizers -- Notify a TeamCub member or the ADMIN (Dennis) to "Sticky" your event announcement in this forum.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

TX Canton Cubfest

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Any of you that saw the Intro post by Jeff Mason (jlmason1981) are aware that he and I have been kicking around the idea of doing some type of Cubfest at the East Texas Tractor Show in Canton. This show is scheduled for April 6 and 7 on some of the grounds used by the huge First Monday Trade Days (not at the same time). Virtually all the displays are inside the pavilions. The only exceptions are some of the operating displays, steel wheel tractors and part of the flea market area. Canton is on I-20 about 60 miles east of Dallas and about 130 west of Shreveport, LA. If you want to take a look at the grounds, stick
32.566102, -95.860090
into google maps and click to the satellite view. The two buildings just south of the green arrow are where the 350 covered display spaces are.

Some advantages I see to doing a Cubfest there:
- Space is essentially unlimited.
- Somebody else is already taking care of parking, rest rooms, other basic facilities.
- Food vendors on site reduces/eliminates need to plan most meals.
- Lots of room for RVs (hookups available for a fee).
- More than adequate motel availability.

Drawbacks:
- No full shop available, eliminates big projects like clutch replacement etc.
- There probably is no place available for plowing or other "earth turning" activities (need to check that).
- Anyone that doesn't bring an exhibit has to pay admission. However the admission is less than we each usually throw in the hat to cover the porta-cans at a Cubfest.
- Being among other people removes some of the "intimacy" of a typical Cubfest.

So, here are my questions:
- Anyone wish to give comments or suggestions regarding a Cubfest at a show? ConnectiCubFest comes close to the same situation, participants in it have any insight?
- Who thinks they are likely to attend, given the date, location and type of show?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Re: TX Cubfest in April?

Postby Peter Person » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Jim,
You've pretty much nailed it as far as the UPS & DOWNS.
Art Chester has been real good about providing us with work tables, firepits, picnic tables, etc. however not having a shop does keep the projects down. Prior to my current job I had access to a 10' x 20' Canopy that worked well to bring a Cub in underneath and along with a large work table we were able to do some significant projects, no tractor splits, but tune-ups, carburetor rebuilds, valve adjustments, and the like.
Zagray has several fields to plow dirt and cut grass for those inclined. Plenty to see with all the different static displays as well as their working gravel pit with vintage equipment plus the working sawmill. Zagray also includes vendors of all sorts so you'll see tractor, truck, & car parts, tools, junk, chainsaws, tires, etc. I've managed to fill out my tool box with some Made in USA tools from the 50's & 60's. Aron's mini-bike is powered by a 5hp B & S engine he bought for $10.
For me Friday is the better day because my children can pretty much go wherever they want whereas on Saturday with several hundred people on the grounds I keep them close by. Once 5:00pm comes the general public disappears and we have the place to ourselves again.
The only meal I plan for the group is a picnic on Saturday evening. We'll send out for pizza Friday night and hit the food vendors for breakfast and lunch.
We have a great time sitting around and talking Cubs.

My $.02
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: TX Cubfest in April?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 am

Both of my cubfests were held at a large outdoor clam bake facility, in my town. Bathroom facilities, food service, plenty of parking. I brought a press, jacks, cribbing, an engine hoist, and tools. We replaced brakes, rebuilt transmissions, and rebuilt final drives, as well as tune ups, valve adjustments, and timing. Other than a lot of hauling of supplies,it worked out well. We did have covered areas, in case of rain. We did have concrete floor available, under a roof, for the jacking/cribbing work.
If we could get ArtC to cut back on the rain, the CT. cubfest would be able to handle bigger jobs. (I think Art likes the rain, to keep the dust down. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Re: TX Canton Cubfest

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:34 am

OK, we're going to do it, whatever it turns out to be. I met with our IHCC state chapter board and we agreed to save a dedicated area for Cub displays at the East Texas Tractor Show. The display area will be under a pavilion roof and on concrete. We won't be doing any major repair operations, but we can certainly do sessions on small repairs or whatever. The show starts at 9AM, Friday 4/6 and runs through Saturday. Since we will be within a large show, we will be working within that framework (modest admission fee if if you don't bring a display etc.).

There are plenty of motels nearby, RV hookups on site.

Anybody that has questions, comments, wants to do or suggest a small project, or just say that you are considering coming can PM me and I'll follow up as needed.

Details on the main show, with a few pictures from last year are on this page.
http://www.cantontradedays.com/lewis/tractors.html

jlmason1981
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jlmason1981 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I will have two for sure at the show and possibly a parts tractor for sale. I hope to have my 49 done by then so that would be the third. Jim how many of your do you intend to bring?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I haven't decided what to bring yet, probably depends on what has both a battery and some gas in it at the time :). Last year I brought 2 Cubs with different type cultivators on each. I should try to bring something different this time.

jlmason1981
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jlmason1981 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Jim, I think you should bring as many as you can. I was surprised when my dad asked if I could get all of mine on his 25' dove tail. I have had so many this year he is burned out, so to hear him ask that was surprising.

Any idea on how many cubs will be there? I would like to make a big showing. I also talked to Don Eicher lastnight about coming up and bringing parts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 pm

I talked with Jim Grigsby (organizer of the overall show) earlier this week. He is going to reserve space for the Cubs adjacent to the IHCC space. We will probably be able to find some grass to mow, but not any place to try plows etc. The show is Friday and Saturday but things can be brought in on Thursday (theoretically after noon after the areas are marked). There were probably a dozen Cubs there last year, but scattered among other tractors. If we get some idea of tractor count ahead of time, we can make sure enough space is reserved.

Return to “CubFest and Tractor Show Announcements & Discussions”