key missing on 8n

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:20 am

I bought an 8n and it is missing a key. She's real pretty but I'd like to hear her run. I tried several keys and none worked I do not think it is the original ignition. The back of it has four wires going to four different posts with nuts. Just for temporary conditions to get it started I was thinking about disconnecting the key ignition and wiring in a house light switch. Can I do this? and how with four wires?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:42 am

Your switch sounds like a universal ignition switch available at most auto parts stores for about 10 or 12. there were a couple of different ones, so take the old one with you.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 am

Clem,

Someone stole the key from my 8N at a show, so I had to hot wire it to take it home, and then replace the switch. !#$%^ You can just run a temporary wire from the battery to the coil and you'll be good to go.

If you have 4 wires to the switch there's a strong possibility it's re-wired for key start... a dangerous condition. It only needs two terminals to be wired correctly... with the safety transmission interlock.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 am

It does have four wires and also appears to have been rewired. The entire tractor has new wiring from what I have observed. It is a shame the key can't be found. I think this baby will fire right up if I get this problem fixed.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:31 am

The tractor runs! I purchased an exact ignition switch and replaced it. I saved the old one and will try to make a key for it by removing the tumblers and grinding down a key to fit it. Just in case I need a new ignition switch for another project. Thanks for the tips.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:33 am

Clem,

Take the ignition switch to them and any good locksmith should be able to make you a key even if you don't have the original.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 pm

I ended up finding a key that fit into the key hole of the old switch and then took the tumbler out. One or two of the tumbler teeth where sprung up so I filed them down with the key in it and put the tumbler back into the ignition switch. The old ignition switch works now so I have a spare switch for the future.