This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lister diesel

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Lister diesel

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:12 am

:roll: My little brother called last nite. He just bought two 14 hp lister diesels for gererators. He told me that as the first of this year they can no longer be inported into the US. So any one that was thinking of getting one of these should get one before they are all sold out. These are great engines and have been known to run over 100,000 hrs with very little maitenace. He said the 14 hp engine only burns 1/2 pint of fuel per 1000 watts electric produced and will max out at 7,900 watts. The 6.5 hp lister diesel will produce 4,700 watts continous on 1.5 gallons a day. Carl I thought you would be insterd in this.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

worldman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby worldman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:38 pm

Cowboy,

How much and where do you buy them?

Thanks,

Worldman
59 Cub, loving life!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Hi Worldman my brother started getting them from somebody off ebay. But they buy from him direct now. I think he said they were in oragon or califiorna. He said for the 14 hp he got 2 for $3,600 with shipping to michigan. The 6.5 hp was $450 to $600. They are really cool looking kinda like the old hit and miss engines with big flywheels. Also they are quite heavy the 6.5 hp was about 800 pounds. They are low speed engines and sound really cool the 6.5hp max rpm is 650 and the 14hp 1,000 rpm. My brother is setting his up with 1800 rpm belt driven generator head. He is out of town for the weekend but I'll let you know when I find out.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:39 pm

Billy,

I've not heard anything about the listeroids becoming unavailable anytime soon. For those of you who are interested, here are a few links:

http://www.oldstylelisters.com
http://www.utterpower.com
http://www.otherpower.com

These are the slow speed engines that power the majority of the 3rd world's small industrial activity and power generation. Although Lister themselves hasn't made the engines since the 1980's, just about every foundry/machine shop in India is currently making them. They vary greatly in quality of design and craftsmanship, however, and it is typical to find sand still in the castings. A complete dismantle, clean, and reassemble is usually recommended before using one. They are severely heavy, however, usually in the neighbourhood of 100lbs per hp. They seem to range in power from about 4 hp to 30 hp (a twin cylinder).

Once you get all the bugs out of them, they are renown for operating continuously for years on end, with only simple maintenance like oil changes, and the oiling of the exterior push rods every day.

They have tremendous compression, and use a compression relief valve to facilitate starting. There are no glow plugs, or electrics of any kind. The smaller models use splash lubrication, the larger have oil pumps which can be problematic at first, until you have them adjusted properly.

They are capable of burning inferior fuels without difficulty or damage, such as Waste Vegetable oil, Straight Veg Oil, Heating oil, or what have you. They are typically run on straight palm kernel oil (a high-water content fuel) in the pacific island countries to run the presses and other machinery which produce more refined oil products.

worldman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby worldman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:49 am

Wow, thanks guys!!!!

I have been looking into biodiesal to run my home and a future truck. This may be the right ticket. I guess you would have to play around with the right size belt pully to adjust for the slower rpm.

I just lost my job, so buying one will have to sit on the back burner for a while.

Take care,

Worldman
59 Cub, loving life!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Worldman I hope you find another job when you are ready. I work construction so I may work a couple of different jobs a year. Some times a different contractors too. My feeling is I was looking for a job when I got this one :!: And when I get a foreman thats a screemer I no longer have a problem walking off. Plus I like taking my winters off With the crazy un-drivers up here its just safer to stay home. I know geo tech engeneers up here that can not move upward while working for one company and end up moving to another company getting their raise then moving back to get another.

Tom my little brothers name is Tom also. I always tell him he gets me into projects and spends my money :!: Now I get to say the same about you :!: After reading about "Black Gold" in oldstylelisters.com I am going to put my generator setup with the changfa engine together and sell it. Finding out the listers can run of used motor oil I am going that way. As I run heavy equ and can get all the used oil I want. A big excavator uses 20-40 gallons of oil when changing. Oh well I like the listers better. Last a lot longer are more efficent. I love the way they look and sound.

Billy

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Cowboy wrote:Tom my little brothers name is Tom also. I always tell him he gets me into projects and spends my money :!: Now I get to say the same about you :!: After reading about "Black Gold" in oldstylelisters.com I am going to put my generator setup with the changfa engine together and sell it. Finding out the listers can run of used motor oil I am going that way. As I run heavy equ and can get all the used oil I want. A big excavator uses 20-40 gallons of oil when changing. Oh well I like the listers better. Last a lot longer are more efficent. I love the way they look and sound.

Billy

Well, Billy, I mentioned something about the slow speed diesels to you earlier, actually, when you first discussed using them for power and heat output for your home, but I don't think I made my point clear.

Those changfa's make great utility engines, for pumping water, running a backup generator, driving a mill or a press, but they aren't really made for continuous service over the course of decades like the listers are.

Using waste motor oil is a fine idea, Billy. One less thing to worry about coming back to bite us in the butt.

Keep us posted on the project as it comes along.

Tom

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Beware of burning used motor oils. Lots of heavy metals and other noxious chemicals reside in used oil, not the kind of things you want to breathe.

Also, used motor oil can be very acidic - it will shorten your fuel pump and injector life.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:34 pm

8) Got the little lister yesterday. Got it unloaded today in the garage. Just to give you a ideal of the size of the engine I am standing next to it :!: The 6.5hp enigine is the same size but this 14hp has heaver flywheels.

Carl thanks for letting me know about the metals in the oil. I am planing on filtering the oil. My little brother says that with a 5 micron filter it takes black oil and makes it come out little darker than new. I will use prefilters before I get to the 5m filter.

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Looking good Billy!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 am

:lol: Thanks Bill glad to see you made it back from you trip safely.

Billy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:28 pm

:D Got the lister started yesterday :{_}: Younger brother told me not to start it on the pallet. Little brother had started his 6.5hp engine like that and ran it. :wink: I had to try it had to hear it run! :oops: :shock: It was jumping 3-4 inches off the ground broke the pallet and went five foot across the garage floor before I got it shut off. But it was great :!: :!: :{_}:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Cowboy,

I'll bet you couldn't hear it running for the thumping in your chest :!: :!: :lol: :lol:
Glad you got to try it :!:
8)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:20 am

Well Donny ya know that engine wasn't the only thing Hoppin' Round Here. :shock: Thing were mighty excitin for a while. Its got two flywheels that have to weigh 200-300lbs each and it takes forever for them to quit spinnin. Was thinking bout cub blade on it to hold it down so I can hear it run. But I thinks I will set it up right next time :!:

Billy

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:53 am

Cowboy wrote::D Got the lister started yesterday :{_}: Younger brother told me not to start it on the pallet. Little brother had started his 6.5hp engine like that and ran it. :wink: I had to try it had to hear it run! :oops: :shock: It was jumping 3-4 inches off the ground broke the pallet and went five foot across the garage floor before I got it shut off. But it was great :!: :!: :{_}:

/////////////////

Cowboy thats funny, I was visualizing your Lister description of walking across your garage and couldn`t help but bust out laughing. I also thought that that weight and characteristics of the Lister would make one helluva compactor. :lol:
Then came Bronson

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”