This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

In Sad Shape

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

In Sad Shape

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Here are a couple of pics of the Model 412 Bush Hog mower they came from under my wife's '53 FCUB Jenny. I had thought about selling it for parts on this forum or on Ebay, but have changed my mind and decided to give it a chance at another life. However, a deep dip into my pocketbook may change my mind. :roll: :wink: I am open to opinions and ideas :idea: on how to go about renewing/refurbishing it. My local dealer checked with Bush Hog about the obvious replacement part; none available. :( I will add that the only thing it really needs is a new deck, two new skids, blades and belt, and maybe two new idlers. :lol:

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:01 pm

Bud,

Are the rest of the parts available? Looks like you should be able to get a new deck fabbed.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Cub-bud, What about shearing a plate that would lay on top of the rotted out one. The mower spindle could be removed, the new plate stitch welded in place. Wouldn't look that bad. Are the left and right sections in good condition? I was thinking about refurbing this one. I think it's a Woods. At least one replaced spindle is the Woods color.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:47 pm

That looks like a pretty rare piece for the Cubs. If the bearings and other real mechanical parts seem to be in decent working order, I would have to try stripping it down to the bare deck and seeing if someone would fab up a new one. It does not look like it would be very difficult to do, and anyone with a small welding/sheetmetal shop could probably fab up a new one in less than a day.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Bud, if I folowed your description correctly, all you have that is useable is the serial tag. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:27 pm

I didn't want to sound cocky as I'm new here, and I'm kind of nit-picky, but my thoughts were about the same as John- I just don't think I would spend time working on a piece of machinery where the builder tag could be it's best remaining aspect, regardless how rare it might be-- OK, you can tell me to kiss off now :lol:

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:15 am

Bud,
I am all in favor of resurrecting old and rare equipment, however this one looks pretty far gone. That being said, I think if you disassemble it and just pick at it then you out of pocket expense will be spread out over time and easier to take. And you may find some good parts in the mean time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:53 am

CB:

You know how rare stuff like that is for guys like me. Even having a skelton to work from is better than nothing at all.

I would probably strip it down, see what all is needed aside from the new deck. Save the tag.... Having the deck itself fabbed new, well that seems pretty simple. Looking at the Bush Hog my father-in-law has, it is pretty basic stuff...

Take your time... I have a few projects that may take a few years to do.. but even though they are in pretty sorry shape (Jethro being a good example), it may be worth doing. You have made some magic.. who knows, maybe magic can be made again.....

Ponder.. that don'ty cost anything...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 pm

I agree with Rudi, I would try and see how hard it would be to rebuild, I have to do teh same with my cub cadet deck, granted it's a lot smaller, i'ts still the same principle, I think....

Johnny

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:34 am

Hey Cub-Bud...The Mowers are ALWAYS LAST on MY LIST for restorations. HOWEVER, havin' said that...I took about 4 months to work on my IH Model 22 4 1/2 foot sicklebar mower for my "Carol Elizabeth" Cub. It took a LOT of work...BUT, the END RESULT was WELL WORTH IT! :wink:

I believe you'll "Strike It Rich" and come across the Bush Hog parts you need (in time). :wink: If the sides of your deck can support it...I would cut out a large piece of flat stock (for the TOP) and weld it OVER the old top piece...grind it down, and re-mount it under the frame rails. You'll come across the runners and spindles and blades a LOT easier than the deck! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:17 am

CB,

I would take a different approach... cut the old metal away and weld new in its' place. I have a strong dislike for rust sandwiches. Maybe that's why my projects take so long?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”