This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

JD H magneto noisy

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

JD H magneto noisy

Postby Rubee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 am

My 45 JD H has been converted to 12 V neg. It makes a noise like clashing gears when running and grows louder when the alternator is charging the battery. It sounds like it is coming from the magneto (wico X). Is this normal? Thanks, Rubee

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:51 am

Rubee,

The Wico X on my Case SC is very quiet. Maybe it's because on the John Deere it is set up lop-sided with both terminals on the same side?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rubee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:05 pm

George
Thanks for responding. I don't know anything about magnetos. By both terminals do you mean spark plug wires? The plug terminals are located on one side. Tractor runs and charges great. The noise bugs me though. If your case wico X runs quiet, maybe I should open this mag up and learn about it more.- Rubee

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Re: JD H magneto noisy

Postby Ike » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Rubee wrote:My 45 JD H has been converted to 12 V neg. It makes a noise like clashing gears when running and grows louder when the alternator is charging the battery. It sounds like it is coming from the magneto (wico X). Is this normal? Thanks, Rubee

Rubee,
Doesn't the shaft that runs the fan and alternator come out of the same housing as the magneto? That shaft is gear driven. Since you say it sounds like clashing gears and it is louder when the alternator is creating a load, it seems like that might be a place to look.

Just a thought.

Ike

Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rubee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks, Ike. Yes the fan and governor run on the same shaft and the mag bolts on the side of the governor. Maybe it is governor noise I am hearing. The reason I jumped to the conclusion it was the mag is as follows: previous owner hooked up a toggle switch and told me to hit it when the engine is running to allow the battery to charge. The noise increases when I do so without increasing engine rpms and the amp gauge does increase on the charge side slightly. I'm confused- Rubee

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:59 pm

I don't know anything about JD, but -

Noise usually means something is loose, binding or mis-aligned. Since they all run off the same shaft and the noise increases when the alternator loads, you might have a bearing/bushing failing along that shaft.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”