This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey Harris Pony

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Massey Harris Pony

Postby rondellh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:13 am

Hey all,
I am going to look at a massey Harris Pony that is for sale. It comes with a plow, cultivators and spring tooth harrow.
I will look and see about its condition but ma wondering what you all think it is worth. The guy is asking $1500.
Do you think its a buy or just average price?

Rondell

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:20 am

From what I have seen, Ponies tend to bring a little more than cubs in equal condition. Mostly, I believe, due to the fact that there are fewer of them. Price sounds reasonable if it is in good shape.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:10 am

Rondell:

Funny isn't it---

Here it is the opposite. A Pony will bring less in my experience than a Cub will.. substantially less... Must be because they are more common place than Cubs...

However, seeing as it comes with the harrow, cultivators and a plow.. then $1500.00 Cdn would be about right. The plow that I have in my back yard for the Pony cost about $150.00 Cdn, the cultivators would probably go for around $250.00 Cdn and the Pony about $1,100.00 Cdn if it is in good shape, tin is solid, runs, no smoke, leaks, cracks or missing parts....

The spring tooth usually gets tossed in to the mix.. but in and of itself is probably worth about $50.00 to $75.00 Cdn.

So yup, it is it in good shape, you would be in the ballpark. Gonna be a personal choice when it comes down to it.. If you like the Pony, it will be fair, if you don't - then it won't.. :roll: :!: :shock: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

canamscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby canamscott » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:59 pm

Last October or November I looked at a Pony right before I bought my Cub. He was asking $3000 for it and a few implements, which I thought high. I think the price you found is much more in line.

Scott

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Well I looked at the Pony and it is in good contion. Tin is good has new side panels for and new lights. Has been rebuilt in the past and sounds very good. But I did not see the lift mechanism for the implements.
The harrows look to be similar to the cub's field cultivator.
I went to look at the local farm bureau auction tonite (it is tomorrow) and they have a pacer with 2 way plows and cultivators and is in even better condition. I think I will see what it brings tomorrow.
Also there are 2 cub 23A discs, a couple Farmall A,s (one with implements and exhust lift) several H's and M's. A super C with fast hitch, loader frame with blade and a cycle mower.
I wonder what I will come home with????

Rondell

ifty
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ifty » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:32 pm

I don't know what a good price is for one, I guess it depends on the person buying it.

I felt kinda sorry for the one I found, it was in very bad shape, didn't run. So I asked the lady selling it if I could get it running first then buy it? She agreed, so we got it running, it smoked, knocked, lots of rear end noise, lots of end play, etc.. Not to mention it looked bad. I paid $1100 for it, because it had a fairly new woods L59 mower attached to it. I figured at worst, I could part the tractor and sell the mower also to get my money back.

Now I am around $4000 into it and the motor is almost new (plus repaired crank, and block). I think just about everything is more for a pony? Example new radiator cub is around $100, pony is $250.
Anyways, I got all new seals for the tractor (every seal there is). Hope to break the rear down this winter to fix and paint it up.

I got some pictures over at http://www.kmods.net/pony

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:55 pm

I just got offered a deal on a Pony... one of my chums has a chum that has a Pony that is up for sale. Is in a couple of pieces as he has redone the engine and tranny.

He want's around $800.00Cdn for it... personally I really am not interested, but it is just across the river...

I have a Marvel Schleiber Carb for a Pony that is going to go on the market soon I think.. I just need a part or two and another rebuild kit for a 3/4 updraft and then that is going on Granny.. and the Pony Carb is going to be history...

Pony's just never grabbed me like a Cub has..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ifty
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ifty » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:53 am

I originally set out for a cub, but all the ones I seen were just to nice around where I live. So they kind of sold for more money than I had at the time.
There was a very nice cub but he wanted $2000 for it. It didn't have any impliments so I was also worried about not finding a mower for it.
Kind of wished I had gotten one now, because JP seems to get alot of parts in.

Either way, I'm happy now. I got an old tractor that I enjoy fixing up to make it last that much longer.

Great forum here, I been a member for a little while, but mainly just read it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:43 pm

Ifty:

Glad that you are enjoying your Pony. And that really is the main point of the exercise I would think, is that one gets a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of their hobby or passtime. Seems you got it all.. and that is what counts. :!: :arrow: :D

If you ever find an owners manual, service or parts manual for your Pony could you please let me know??? I have been looking for these 3 manuals for at least 2 years now for my chum Roger who happens to have one. I still have his plow here and a couple of extra parts for the Pony that he didn't need..

But still no manuals... darn... :roll: :cry: :shock:

ifty
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ifty » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:53 am

I got some manuals that came with my pony, plus the original woods belly mower manual that came with the mower. I was shocked the lady had those since the pony was in such horrible shape, she had them all kept pretty well in a plastic zip bag, in the house.. go figure :)

I'm trying to find implements, but everytime one pops up on eBay it is in the upper north (close to Ney York).
Would love a plow or blade.

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I have heard that a Pony is much like a very small Ford 8N. True? Do they have a pto and 3 point.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 pm

Richard:

A Pony is a lot different from a Ford and no, I do not believe that it is 3 point capable.. there may be an aftermarket.. but based on the Pony's I have seen and my memory which is bad at times.. and based on the implements.. it is very much like the Cub.

I personally think the Massey is way less of a tractor than a Cub.. and far less friendly in the garden.. it is larger, more cumbersome and the implements are heavier. I think hydraulics are available.. but the Pony's I remember all utilize a hand lever I think..

Also, there is no where near the support that Cubs have. I have been trying to find an owners manual, a parts manual and a service manual for a Pony for almost 4 years now.. with zilch success.. same for the moldboard plow..

ifty
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ifty » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:11 pm

The pony is only 2 point I guess you can say.

Some have hydro, some don't.

Yes support is less, but if you look hard you can find it.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”