This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

14 hp Lister diesel generator

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

14 hp Lister diesel generator

Postby cowboy » Thu May 18, 2006 12:40 pm

8) Well I finally got started building the gen set. Took three days to get this far :!: Why is it that the first welds are the one up front and visible :?: When I see a weld ground off the first thing I think is how bad was the weld job :?: Doggone it I had to grind down some welds.

Well you can see where I got started with just a plate and som 4x4 1/2" tubing. Then I added the mounting bracket for the air bag suspension. And got the front tires mounted. And the air bags plumed in.

Used a chainfall to lift the lister as that 14hp diesel weighs about 1100 pounds :!: Mounted the generator head and started it up :wink: Got some live action pictures in there. I was worried about how much it would jump around but after it was up to speed it ran real smooth and did not put any vibration into the ground. As those that have been following this know the first time I started it I had to chase it across the garage :!:

I still have to get a belt set up tensioners. Get a water pump for it and set that up witha radiator and all the lines. Right now its hand crank only and I want to try to setup a electric starter on it.

Billy
Last edited by cowboy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Very 8) :!: :!:
8)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu May 18, 2006 1:46 pm

:P Lookin good Billy, Gonna be a heavy little monster when finished huh!!. How do you plan on attaching an electric starter?. Belt, gear, etc. :?:
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 18, 2006 4:43 pm

Man you got a regular heavy duty fab shop there. Looking good. Those air bags are great vibration dampers.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu May 18, 2006 8:29 pm

Hey Billy, nice job! Can't wait to see that baby roar.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 pm

billy, you are doign a fantasitc job, I wnat to see that thing in operation.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:billy, you are doign a fantasitc job, I wnat to see that thing in operation.

John,

That's one more reason to reconsider and come to CubFest! :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 18, 2006 9:30 pm

It has been reconsidered, an I plan to be there. Unfortunately I won't be bringing a cub though.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 18, 2006 9:38 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:It has been reconsidered, an I plan to be there. Unfortunately I won't be bringing a cub though.

Don't worry, John. I'll have a loaner there for you.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm

:D Donny thank you my friend :D

8) Hi Johnbron :idea: Just gestumatin' I think about 1800lbs. The good thing about it is no one is going just throw it in the back of a pickup and permantly "borrow it" unless they have a tow truck or end loader :!: I picked up a starter generator for a cub cadet belt drive that I plan on rigging up.

:? Bill nothing fancy here. Air compresser, some air tools, gas hatchet (torches grandma gave me) old drill press, 2 grinders, assorted hand tools, Mig (wish I had a stick too), My brother just gave me the 10" band saw for next to nothing to help me out. Now if only I had a good old big lathe, bridge port and tooling for both And And like a flat floor that wasn't broken up and shifted so I could lay stuff out :!: :!: :!: Oh yea a shop area big enough so I could find what I am looking for instead of trying to rember which pile its in :!: :!: Oh well its not what you have its how you use it :wink: Thank you for keeping a eye on me and yu encouragement Bill

8) Thats great Carl I am looking forward to seeing you agin :!: :!: Be warned I am bringing the carb off my cub though :wink:

:P Thanks John :wink: Like George I wish you could make it to cubfest. But if you ever find yourself near this area you are more than welcome over here :!: :!: :!:

8) Hi George my 4 year old nephew wants to thank you for Scruffies old front wheels as other wise we could not have cut the lawn today :!: :!: The first thing he wants to do when he comes over is ride the "tractor"

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Billy,

Just an idea, but those listers were designed to be gravity cooled. No water pump is truly necessary. Find yourself a wide radiator, and turn it sideways for additional height, and you should be set, use a zero pressure cap, though, as I don't think they were meant to hold coolant pressure in the least. A 12V alternator and an electric fan would help, too. Or, just an old box fan, run off the 120V. The 12V setup would be more weatherproof, though. I'm told they don't run real hot, though, traditionally, they were cooled by plumbing them into an open-top 55 gal drum.

Those air-pillows are one heck of an idea. I have my compressor frame mounted to an old tire, no rim. It helps a lot. I leave the electric motor a little loose in it's mount, and use wedged sticks driven between the motor and the pump as my "belt tensioner".......it works....LOL

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 am

Cowboy Billy, That is just fantastic, out of this world, what thinking, I LIKE IT!
I can almost hear it from here.
You remember we use similar engines here for thrashing, mainly made by Bernard in France. Slow reving with a big piston long stroke, keep going for life!
Pat

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri May 19, 2006 10:03 am

8) Cool John looking forward to seing you agin :!:

:D Hi Tom I will use a cooling tank for testing. Even thought I am taking one to cubfest these are not poratable units. When it is setup at home engine cooling will be water baseboard heaters inside the house. The water path will be from the house to the engine water jacket into the exhust water jacket (we are cooling the exhust to heat the house too) into the house basebord heaters. And back to the pump. If we need more heat we will plug in electric heaters which will make the engine work harder making more heat. And burning free waste oil = free electrick + free heat -setup coats -time picking up and hauling oil -time filtering oil and cost of oil filters =coming out way way ahead and sticking it back at the oil companies :!:

Tom you just gave me a new :idea: You could convert a cub or A engine to run on propane or natural gas. Burn that in your engine instead of a furnance you get your heat and free power and mabe sell some power back to edison :!:

:D :P Hi Pat thank you :!: It is a neat project. I looked at your site and you have some cool engines 8) :!:

Billy

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue May 30, 2006 5:17 am

Hey Billy...You did a GREAT JOB on your Lister/Gen Set :!: :!: No question that it'll be too heavy for neighbors to "borrow". Your airbag idea is TERRIFFIC :!: :!: :wink: Thanks for all the photos Billy :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue May 30, 2006 3:13 pm

:D Thanks Country :!: The air bags were my brothers :idea: his wife did not like the vibration. Actually most of this project is my brothers :idea: He made the engine plate. The braceing and welding is mine as is the location of the air bags and mountings. Using used motor oil to fuel it came from one of the sites Tom (400cub) gave me.

The other project is a ethanal still my brother is setting up at my place. He has the condenser made. And he is working on processes to stream line it and have it set up with the brewing tankes in a 8' foot wide shed that we can put on a trailer if we need to. And are going to apply for a premit for up to 10,000 gallons a year. With all of us invalved will need 6,000 to 8,000 gallons.

Billy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”