This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

what does a joiner on a molboard do

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

what does a joiner on a molboard do

Postby brian kov » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:39 am

can some one tell me about what job a joiner for a molboard plow actually does . we know what the coulter does ,it cuts a slit in the sod so as to let the molboard cut under and flip over cleanly but what about the joiner :?: :?: :oops: :?:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:25 pm

Jointer: A miniature moldboard plow attachment whose purpose is. to turn over a small furrow slice directly ahead of the main moldboard.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=4& ... 3D2&e=9797

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:06 pm

It helps to turn the trash (vegetation) over so it will be covered by the dirt.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:01 am

I hope someone got a close-up picture of Scotty's plow in action. Under those conditions the coulter and especially the jointer were working as they should. When Scotty was making repeated passes there was no sod showing at all. :D The jointer REALLY helps.

Scotty spent enough time plowing with many different operators, so there must be pictures :?:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:33 am

I left it big, so everyone could see the detail.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:49 am

Brian,
Back in the days when the Earth was young, leaving plowed fields 'clean' and trash-free was the ideal.
In the old sods especially, the grass would be vigorous enough that if you didn't get it buried it woud regrow and compete with the crop you wanted.
The jointer was to turn the part of the furrow that might not otherwise get buried. (the top left of the furrow slice in this case)
Today with minimal tillage and the effort against soil erosion , the cover of old crop residue on top is much more the norm.
We also have equipment that will work through that kind of cover today. When the Cub was introduced, that was definitely not the case.
Hope this makes sense. :wink:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:41 pm

OK, I finally pulled out my plowing closeups from Cubfest. The first is Scotty with the combination jointer. I thought it was doing the best plowing that day. If you look closely, you can see the little bit of soil coming off the jointer. I don't remember whose the other one was, but I imagine the owner will speak up. This one had a plain colter with no jointer. I thought this plow was doing pretty well at the time. Note that it was not plowing as deep as Scotty, at least when I took this picture. Adjustment of colters etc. should be based partly on plowing depth.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”