This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

horsedrawn plow

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

horsedrawn plow

Postby kinelbor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 am

Someone in my town is selling a horsedrawn plow. Its pretty small. It has just the moldboard and a long arm that could be bolted to the drawbar. Maybe with a little modifaction/fabrication. I figured just use a chain from the plow to the rear lift arm and it would raise and lower just fine. Think this would work?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:30 am

Nik:

They use these kinds of plows for all kinds of mods to mount up to tractors where I live. Necessity if the mother of invention. How good a job it will do depends entirely on who does the modification work and what it is going to be used for...

Look for a Cub-193 first..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 am

Yep, I agree with Rudi's statement completely. I take it the handles are missing, so you'll have to adapt the mounting so the plow doesn't fall over from side to side. Piece of cake for your talent, Nik. Another fun project :D Send on the pics soon!

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:19 am

I sure wish I was close to you I have 7 Cub plows and a horse drawn plow is worth a lot more money here for yard ornament than a Cub plow is.
Jim Turner

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 pm

Jim I need to bring you a wagon load of mule plows and cultivators buzardwings and such and do some trading I have walked behind them
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathey need to be in somebodies yard
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: horsedrawn plow

Postby Merlin » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:02 am

kinelbor wrote:Someone in my town is selling a horsedrawn plow. Its pretty small. It has just the moldboard and a long arm that could be bolted to the drawbar. Maybe with a little modifaction/fabrication. I figured just use a chain from the plow to the rear lift arm and it would raise and lower just fine. Think this would work?

I think it would probably partially work. As Rudi said, "Necessity is the mother of invention. How good a job it will do depends entirely on who does the modification work". I've never used this one, but it bolts to the drawbar with 3 bolts to keep it from leaning left or right and has a hole in the rear upright to hook a chain to lift it. I'm sure if the 3 bolts were too tight though, it wouldn't lift out of the ground, just pull against the drawbar. If you put a pivot in the beam, it would probably just skim on top of the ground. This one is on my heap. The point is though, things can be modified to suit your purpose. I modified a horse drawn sweep by welding a cultivator shank to the beam. After I work my garden using the gee whiz or hillers, I put the sweep under the tractor and sweep the rows back up.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 am

Hey Nik...I believe your BEST BET (if you want a plow for your Cub) is to look for and buy a CUB 193 moldboard plow with a coulter and a deapth control lever, or a two-way plow and lever. These will give you the BEST RESULTS from your Cub (although they won't be as much fun as tryin' to fabricate or modify a plow that WASN'T made for a Cub). If the PRICE IS RIGHT on the horse-drawn plow...why not buy it and SWAP for the Cub plow and lever you NEED? :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:05 am

Yes David I agree the yard ornament is what these were intended for, I too have my hours loged in on following a horse and plow.
Jim Turner

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:22 am

Jim we never had a horse just a pair of mules one brown, George and one black, Pete
Pete was hard headed
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:38 am

David Bennett wrote:Jim we never had a horse just a pair of mules one brown, George and one black, Pete
Pete was hard headed
David

Our mules were Maude and Jenny... very large as mules go. Maude was black and Jenny was white. They were easy to tell apart! :D I was glad when they were replaced with a team of Belgians, Jack and Jim. :D Jack dropped dead while pulling the hay wagon and loader. He was replaced by Carny (Carnation), a Percheron.

Pop was breaking new ground with the mules pulling the walking plow. He had the lines tied together behind his back when the plow struck a root and the doubletree broke. He ended up with a few broken ribs. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:31 pm

George
When I was little daddy was busting the middle with the cultivator and granddaddy was sidding the bacca up with the buzzard wing They sent me to the house after a jar of water I stayed a little to long so I was a running
when I busted out of the woods where they was resting in the shade at the end of the row where I come out. I spooked the mules Pete took off through the bacca field with the buzzardwing just a swaying from side to side tearing up bacca it tore the handles off took right good while to catch them After they got there breath they tore up my but prety good been a long time ago but i member it like it was yesterday
Davidf
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”