This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hoover Harvesters?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Hoover Harvesters?

Postby dirt devil » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any info or new of any still around. I was at the doctor's office the other day (routine check up) meeting with my new doc. and we got on the topic of tractors. Come to find out his great uncle was the one who invented this machine. At the time Mr. Hoover and a Mr. McCormick were competitors and the only ones at the time making them. Peter (Dr.) was telling me that his uncle was a little foolish by thinking that his machine was the best and always would be. Well Mr. McCormick made patents and such and continually improved his machines which eventually put Mr. Hoover out of business.

He also told me that they made reapers as well. So since he new that I am into old tractors and such he asked me to keep an eye out as he wants to buy one.

Thanks Dave
Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:01 pm

Nothing on Hoosier Harvester in the Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors, 1890 - 1960.

There is a Hoosier Wheel & Tractor Company in Franklin, Indiana listed. "The 10-35 appeared about 1920 and remained on the market for only a short time. It was equipped with a four-cyclinder Midwest engine having a 4 1/2 X 6 inch bore stroke."
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 am

The World Encyclopedia of Tractors and Farm Machinery does not list a Hoover Harvester. However, a Google search came up with "Hoover Potato Harvester". Dan

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:55 am

Isaac Hoover of Milan, Ohio patented a potato digger in 1885. Patent number 318,254. He established Hoover Manufacturing Company (in Avery, OH) which produced several machines for potato farming. John Deere acquired the company around 1925 and continued to use the Hoover name on equipment for a long time.

Several pictures of Hoover diggers can be found on the internet.

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Jim's right Hoover did make potato diggers, I almost bought one but the guy didn't know what he should do. Oh well I am sure I ended up with a much nicer one anyways.

For some reason this doen't ring a bell. I thought that it was more to do with harvesting equipment not diggers. I will have to ask some more questions when I get a chance.

Thanks Dave
Dave

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”